German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Ontario, Canada!

I'm happy to be joining this community! I am a rookie when it comes to GSD/working dogs so I have a lot to learn! I have 2 rescues I adopted as adult dogs.

Taiga - fawn GSD mix
He is an amazing hiking and backcountry camping partner, excellent with people, kids, and cats.
He has one major vice that he came with when I adopted him-- major dog reactivity. I've been working for 3 years now on his dog reactivity. But other than that he is seriously the sweetest, chillest GSD mix. He is happiest when we are out hiking.

Basha - Belgian Malinois (she might be a mix, but I've had mal breeders and working dog trainers say she is full mal, so who knows)
She is like Jekyll and hyde. Super moochy cuddlebug extreme at home, but out 'in the field' she becomes a high-drive intense land shark. I'm still learning how to manage the intensity of this breed! I've had her for just about 2 years now. First year I had her, she was recovering from TPLO surgery so the 'land shark' side didn't come out for the first year.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Welcome! That looks like Killarney (or at least the La Cloche area) in some of your pictures!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Thank you! And yes, its totally Killarney! This was on a fall hike up to The Crack, and then beyond for some backcountry camping. Good eye!
I have been there many a time! In fact my dog Luc (since passed on) was the first recorded dog to do the whole trail in 2 days :) Fall in the La Cloche is beautiful!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been there many a time! In fact my dog Luc (since passed on) was the first recorded dog to do the whole trail in 2 days :) Fall in the La Cloche is beautiful!
No kidding!! You did the whole la cloche silhouette trail in 2 days?? That is beyond hard core! I did it in 7 days with Taiga. I can’t imagine the pace to complete the loop in 2 days. That’s quite the feat for both of you! And you’re right about Killarney in fall- it’s completely stunning 😄

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
No kidding!! You did the whole la cloche silhouette trail in 2 days?? That is beyond hard core! I did it in 7 days with Taiga. I can’t imagine the pace to complete the loop in 2 days. That’s quite the feat for both of you! And you’re right about Killarney in fall- it’s completely stunning 😄
I won't lie, it was tough, and we decided the Silver Peak side trail being a side trail was not intergral. I'm hoping to do it in 3 days this August if parks ever open again - but we shall see. I'm not in good shape at the moment. 7 days is a nice amount of time because you can really stop to enjoy the views.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I won't lie, it was tough, and we decided the Silver Peak side trail being a side trail was not intergral. I'm hoping to do it in 3 days this August if parks ever open again - but we shall see. I'm not in good shape at the moment. 7 days is a nice amount of time because you can really stop to enjoy the views.
Will 3 days include the silver peak trail? That will be an awesome trip! I'm crossing my fingers that the parks will open up come fall. I was hoping to do the loop again with a group of friends in the fall (plus Taiga of course!). We will see!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I hope so. It would come near the start of day 2 so I'll see how fast I am day 1 and decide, but I think it's doable. I am jealous of your trip with Taiga - the fast moving stuff I likely won't bring the beagle, Neb is aged and Agis is too young still to do long distances!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts