German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My name is Edward and I'm from California. I currently do not own a German Shepherd but am looking forward to becoming an owner in the near future. I decided to make an account here so I could learn all I can from experienced owners.
A little bit about myself. I pursued a BA in sociology at UCSD and am currently finishing up my AA in police science. I am hoping to become a police officer in the bay area, preferably in the city of Oakland.
I was hoping some members could direct me to any information that would help me better prepare myself. Websites? Books? I am planning on volunteering at a local German Shepherd Rescue to better acquaint myself with the breed. I understand that German Shepherds are not for everyone so I am trying my best to learn all I can. Any help is so greatly appreciated. Also, any reputable breeders in California? I was hoping to maybe start some dialogue with a breeder soon as I understand the process can take quite some time. I am drawn to Adler Stein Kennels as they seem to be very professional and exude a love for the breed. I am not looking for a show dog, but temperament, nerves, courage and trainability. Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome- it's nice to see someone doing their research first. Sounds like you're well prepared to make a good choice, but you're right- gsds are not for everyone. They take 'dog' to a whole other level.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome- it's nice to see someone doing their research first. Sounds like you're well prepared to make a good choice, but you're right- gsds are not for everyone. They take 'dog' to a whole other level.
Thank you! That's a very flattering compliment. I am trying my best! I just ordered "The Art of Raising a Puppy" and "How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog Owners." Has anyone read either one of these? Good read?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

I'm sure there are plenty of good breeders in Cal and there are members who will help you find the one that suits you.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hello and welcome!

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
Hi there, welcome to the board from another Bay Area member! One of our friends is with OPD.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Welcome to the board. I think it is an awesome idea to volunteer at a GSD rescue, there you will see all kinds of variations to the breed and work with knowledgeable GSD people.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Thank you! That's a very flattering compliment. I am trying my best! I just ordered "The Art of Raising a Puppy" and "How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog Owners." Has anyone read either one of these? Good read?
Good reads, yes and welcome from another bay area member
(north bay to be exact) and hope to follow your story with
a dog, and the possible OPD... my grandfather was on the force!

:welcome:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts