German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I appreciate your time. I am definitely guilty of allowing him to blow off commands. Right now he gets to run and play on our property and that would have to stop in order for me to work on listening every time. Don't honestly think I am up to that. Perhaps this group is not for me after all, as it seems you are all pretty serious about serious obedience. I just want a nice, friendly, happy dog!
You're more than welcome. I understand you just want a friendly dog. I'm just trying to figure how you can have a nice friendly dog if you have to rehome him:
We have considered rehoming many times - something else I never thought I'd consider.
Good luck.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
Off leash sled dogs. How is the body language here:
You seem to be under the misconception that we don't know, or don't like, Haz.
You do know he is a member here, right?
The OP has a dog that by their description is independent and strong willed. Showing videos of a depressed dog isn't helping.
I understand the dog had issues, I get that often the trainers are given strict time constraints with these cases, and I understand the life or death nature of some of these cases. However, as proof that the type/breed can be made "biddable" that video fails.
I have owned and worked with many huskies, including my darling Mackenzie River husky (yes, they really exist) Nahanni.
Find the key that unlocks your dog, the thing that makes him unique and use that.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Right now he gets to run and play on our property and that would have to stop in order for me to work on listening every time.
This is completely untrue. It shies the lack of knowledge you have when it comes to training. A dog having strong I obedience and listening every time does not mean they don’t have freedom. Quite the contrary, strong obedience grants a dog more freedom. Your dog gets to roam your property. My dogs roam my mine and also take off leash walks 3 times a day minimum where they can roam and rub around. I can take my dogs just about anywhere off leash and allow them to play and roam to their heart’s content. Why? Because I train my dogs. You can hide them from the world or you can teach them to function in it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The OP has a dog that by their description is independent and strong willed. Showing videos of a depressed dog isn't helping.
However, as proof that the type/breed can be made "biddable" that video fails.
This is what I said:
It was posted to show that there are trainers who know what they are doing and can gain control of independent strong willed dogs .

Find the key that unlocks your dog, the thing that makes him unique and use that.
You should make an online course. I'm sure your advice will go over well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This is completely untrue. It shies the lack of knowledge you have when it comes to training. A dog having strong I obedience and listening every time does not mean they don’t have freedom. Quite the contrary, strong obedience grants a dog more freedom. Your dog gets to roam your property. My dogs roam my mine and also take off leash walks 3 times a day minimum where they can roam and rub around. I can take my dogs just about anywhere off leash and allow them to play and roam to their heart’s content. Why? Because I train my dogs. You can hide them from the world or you can teach them to function in it.
I agree that obedience equals freedom, but I can not seem to get him to that point. My lack of knowledge is about what to do with this dog specifically. All our other dogs got there. He is different. I don't hide him from the world. He goes on pack dog hikes, leashed walks, visiting people, restaurant patios, day care, and does well. He just can't be off leash in an open area and does the worst on our own property. If I could hire a trainer who could help me I would, but I have tried all the ones available to me. I think this will be it for me on this forum. I am feeling pretty beat up. Good evening.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
I think this will be it for me on this forum. I am feeling pretty beat up.
Don't give up, and don't give up on your dog. You just need to find a way to work with him. No one is trying to make you feel bad. We just want you to succeed. I agree that gaining his compliance will ultimately give him more freedom, but that doesn't mean you did anything wrong it means he is here to teach you stuff. We learn the most from the ones that make us learn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You seem to be under the misconception that we don't know, or don't like, Haz.
You do know he is a member here, right?
I understand the dog had issues, I get that often the trainers are given strict time constraints with these cases, and I understand the life or death nature of some of these cases. However, as proof that the type/breed can be made "biddable" that video fails.
I have owned and worked with many huskies, including my darling Mackenzie River husky (yes, they really exist) Nahanni.
The dog in the first video doesn't look "depressed" to me.

Showing videos of unicorns and rainbows won't help anyone. Haz is one of the very few online to show real training and real corrections. He also has REAL results and his videos help thousands of people.

·
Super Moderator
9,684 Posts
You should make an online course. I'm sure your advice will go over well.
I think you should:)At least might you be persuaded to post some videos of your dog or dogs and what you do for fun?I don't think you've ever mentioned your personal dog(s),posted pictures or pedigrees.

·
Super Moderator
9,684 Posts
The dog in the first video doesn't look "depressed" to me.
He looks anxious IMO.Like he's got a gun pressed against his head.
We do like ShieldK9 here.Some of us don't care for the YouTube videos is all.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
13,656 Posts
Off leash sled dogs. How is the body language here:

One of Haz's online clients. Proof is in the pudding folks. There is a difference between a so called dog trainer and a competent balanced dog trainer who has experience, plus results, dealing with all dogs, especially working dogs, and all temperaments.
I wonder where they kept all the free-roaming neighbor cats?
😜

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
I appreciate your time. I am definitely guilty of allowing him to blow off commands. Right now he gets to run and play on our property and that would have to stop in order for me to work on listening every time. Don't honestly think I am up to that. Perhaps this group is not for me after all, as it seems you are all pretty serious about serious obedience. I just want a nice, friendly, happy dog!
Me too, except they also need rock solid obedience instead of running off after deer and coyotes through 500 miles of trails but with roads all around. My older GSD goes on a leash maybe a few times per year - total freedom including elevated prey drive.

Made possible through "serious obedience"

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,880 Posts
You don't need to leave, we are not serious about drilling a dog for hours, however we are serious about the dog obey when we give a "command", this for the protection of the dog and protection of others. You and each of us decides what those "You will always listen commands are"

For me "over here", "with me" are suggestions, "Come Here" is a must obey every time. "Stop" meaning freeze in place and look at me, is a must obey. If my is dog chasing a cat into the road obeying a "Come Here" or "Stop" could be a life saver. If he is about engage with a Cotton Mouth, Rattler or Copper head snake they are also life saving commands.

In training there are stages; Teaching, Generalizing, Proofing. Until you have generalized and proofed a must obey command, never issues it if you cannot enforce compliance.

Until bullet proof you should only issue the must obey recall with a long line on the dog so can real him in if he blows it off. This teaches, you will always recall one way or the other. If you issue a recall and cannot enforce it you are teaching that he can blow it off.

Returning to you at any time should never be a negative, always a party and fun. Never issue a recall with anger or to issue a corrections. Don't say "Come Here" then "bad dog get inside"

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,880 Posts
To further explain my example of recall on a long line.

When you issue the recall if your dog responds, as soon as he starts towards you, you can see he has mentally decided to return, start praising, get exited, go overboard all the way back and then when he arrives continue, pet, praise, treat and play, throw a party like you just won the Superbowl.

When you issue the command and he blow it off, Snap that long line and collar, then pull, as soon as he starts moving towards you on his own without being dragged you switch to all of the above over the top party.

Return to me and its a party = +positive reward, reinforcement
Blow me off and it leash pops and a pull = +positive punishment, correction

Blow me off = bad, return at anytime = always good.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
To further explain my example of recall on a long line.

When you issue the recall if your dog responds, as soon as he starts towards you, you can see he has mentally decided to return, start praising, get exited, go overboard all the way back and then when he arrives continue, pet, praise, treat and play, throw a party like you just won the Superbowl.

When you issue the command and he blow it off, Snap that long line and collar, then pull, as soon as he starts moving towards you on his own without being dragged you switch to all of the above over the top party.

Return to me and its a party = +positive reward, reinforcement
Blow me off and it leash pops and a pull = +positive punishment, correction

Blow me off = bad, return at anytime = always good.
Shadow is old now. Anytime she, of her own free will checks in, comes back to me, offers a touch I still praise like it's the first time.

·
Super Moderator
9,684 Posts
Shadow is old now. Anytime she, of her own free will checks in, comes back to me, offers a touch I still praise like it's the first time.
I think for many of us acknowledging any touch or glance in a positive manner becomes second nature.

·
Super Moderator
9,684 Posts
For the OP or anyone who is interested Jamie Penrith has a long series about this particular client's dog that pulls like a freight train and has no recall.I haven't watched him for a long time but stumbled across him today. He doesn't get a lot of exposure here, probably because he works with a lot of hunting dogs.But he's really good at explaining exactly what is happening IMO, and with this dog he goes through the long process of creating the bond,creating the automatic response,and how a companion dog can learn to control itself and have plenty of freedom,eventually adding an e collar. This is just one sample.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts