German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
He "knows" commands but does not always follow them, or takes his sweet time doing so. Especially poor at recall and at times will still run from us if we are trying to fetch him from the property or when trying to load him in the car. He is not a dog that wants to please the humans, just himself.

From everything I have read about Great Pyrenees, it seems this is a common issue and he behaves much more like a Pyrenees than a GSD. Livestock Guardian dogs are designed to work independently from humans and think for themselves, which he definitely does. We have been to several trainers, both private and group, and work with him every day, but his need to roam, explore, and make his own decisions is super strong.

We have come to terms with it, and just ensure he is on leash when off our property. That being said, he is super sensitive and if he senses we are frustrated, or give him corrections, he avoids us even more, so we try to use positive only. My husband has given some serious corrections, and it did not help.

Is your suggestion that we correct him strongly when he snaps at her? Thanks for your reply.
It sounds like you've been to trainers who don't know what they are doing.

The Husky part too

·
Registered
58 Posts
I watch a lot of Sheild's video's, this one got my attention and not in a good way. The body language on that dog is disturbing!
If it was posted in an attempt to show how bidable huskies are it failed. The dog looks miserable through most of the video. It does not WANT to listen, it knows it HAS to listen. The goal in training is always to make the animal want to, has to is a last resort and the perimeter fence of training. I know a handler who put OB titles on several huskies, Sibes and Mals. None looked like that.
I agree with Bearshandler. My dog has no right to remove food from another dog, I give and only I can take away. It is one thing to accept the limits of a dogs genetics, another thing entirely to use them as an excuse.
If you want to add a dog, any dog, you have work to do.
It was posted to show that there are trainers who know what they are doing and can gain control of independent strong willed dogs . The OP said: "We have been to several trainers, both private and group, and work with him every day, but his need to roam, explore, and make his own decisions is super strong."

The dog has to listen because that is what proofing and functional obedience is.

The husky had issues before Haz got him. I'm not concerned with a little stress because that will go away in time and with proper relationship with dog. The dog will also become stronger by learning to work through the stress.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That may well be. In the rural are where we live, there are few options. Honestly, I'd rather he be less obedient but happy and friendly, than obedient but fearful.
Don't give commands you can't enforce or they are not commands but rather requests that the dog can blow off at will.

Reliable obedience requires proofing with corrections at exact times. Timing is important. Learn how to use "markers" if you don't use them already.

Also, frustration and corrections don't work well together.

Haz from Shield K9 has many free videos that may help you or give you more ideas.

He "knows" commands but does not always follow them, or takes his sweet time doing so. Especially poor at recall and at times will still run from us if we are trying to fetch him from the property or when trying to load him in the car. He is not a dog that wants to please the humans, just himself.
That being said, he is super sensitive and if he senses we are frustrated, or give him corrections, he avoids us even more, so we try to use positive only.
We have considered rehoming many times - something else I never thought I'd consider.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I appreciate your time. I am definitely guilty of allowing him to blow off commands. Right now he gets to run and play on our property and that would have to stop in order for me to work on listening every time. Don't honestly think I am up to that. Perhaps this group is not for me after all, as it seems you are all pretty serious about serious obedience. I just want a nice, friendly, happy dog!
You're more than welcome. I understand you just want a friendly dog. I'm just trying to figure how you can have a nice friendly dog if you have to rehome him:
We have considered rehoming many times - something else I never thought I'd consider.
Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The OP has a dog that by their description is independent and strong willed. Showing videos of a depressed dog isn't helping.
However, as proof that the type/breed can be made "biddable" that video fails.
This is what I said:
It was posted to show that there are trainers who know what they are doing and can gain control of independent strong willed dogs .

Find the key that unlocks your dog, the thing that makes him unique and use that.
You should make an online course. I'm sure your advice will go over well.

1 - 8 of 10 Posts