German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I am super glad for this forum to be here and available to everyone, especially newbies like me! I have never owned a GSD before, nor have I ever owned my OWN dog. This is a first. I know, I know. Probably a little cringing going on, and some red flags. But, I have ALWAYS lived with dogs and taken care of them but never had a dog that, I, fully owned. I have also worked with large breed dogs a lot(Not a huge fan of small ones. That said, I have lived with and loved some little dogs) from 60lbs to 160+lbs!! I also have done occasional volunteer work at my state GSD rescue(over 4hrs away so I can't help as much as I want) as well as with a lot with just my normal shelter since its only about 30 minutes away. I have seen and handled all types of GSD's and GSD mixes. So I am not new to handling these amazing pups. I don't consider myself a "beginner" dog handler/owner, but definitely doing consider myself a super experienced/expert dog handler. I FINALLY, after 4yrs of waiting, have decided I am ready to own and support a GSD for as long as she blesses me with her life. I couldn't be more excited! I put a holding fee down on a female pup. The only female in the litter of 10. Sire is from East German working lines. He has an H.I.T under his belt that he passed with flying colors. Which is a great thing to me! Dam is a cross between West German working line and an American "pet" line. Both are straight back which I love personally. Both dam and Sire are Blk/Tan. Dam is that classic looking saddle back most people think when they think of GSDs. Sire is Blk/Tan Blanket. He is mainly black other than some small face/neck markings, and his legs(not Bi color, way too much tan for that) Super pretty boy! I don't get my girl until the August, 17th- 28th(depending what happens) Parents are OFA tested and cleared for HD and ED. Both scored excellently. Pups will get 2 vet health checks done, and first set of shots. Now here comes the part where people may get a little "What?!" And I would too trust me. I will say this first. The breeder is amazing. They offered to give my deposit back, or switch it to another litter. They only breed one of their bitches every 2 years. They do it as a hobby and look to produce mainly pets/dogs with Low-Med drives, that do well in a home, but also as working, scent and mainly, as herding dogs.

The breeder planned a trip 8months in advance (end of December around Christmas time) to go to Florida with their daughter and husband for a 2 week trip. One of their bitches came into heat and they bred her late april. At that point they did admit and feel awful they had completely forgotten the trip. They were originally dropping all their adult dogs off for boarding, but they can't leave unvaccinated puppies there for 2 weeks. They were/are still trying to find a friend or pet sitter willing to take all 10 pups and their mama for a little over a week but their search has come up empty so far. So they have told everyone they may have to pick their pups up after the 16th but before 19th when they leave. They have had a few litters before and I did see them on their personal Facebook page. Obviously they care and they have always rehomed at 8-9weeks so this to me definitely seems like it was just an honest mistake. I mean, who hasn't made a mistake, or forgotten something before? So unless they find someone to take them in, I will be getting my girl at 7 weeks old. I talked with my vet and theirs. Both think it will be OK and definitely isn't a recipe for disaster if things are done and handled correctly. I have also seen some threads on here where again, it is normally just fine. Especially if the buyer has a tolerant older dog, or another young puppy. What is great for me is a neighbor, very close by, had a litter of Australian Shepherds born only a few days before this litter was. I know all her dogs are vaccinated and puppies will not come in any contact with any of those bad things a puppy could get and they will be vet checked so she is allowing me to bring my girl over there for several hours a day to socialize and be with those pup for an extra week or 2 before they start going off to their own homes. My sister also has a 3yo GSDxBorder collie mix he is very mellow and tolerant of puppies. He has met a large number of them and is great for starting puppy socialization. Very laid back boy. If things work out perfectly I will be able to get my girl on the 25th at 8 weeks. If not it will be the 17th. I have already become very attached to her. Plus she is perfect for what I am hoping for. I have never seen her(Yes, probably another red flag moment) but whatever her temperament/personality is, it's fine with me! If she is more independent and/or hige drive I have a rather large herd of goats I use to graze down pasture and open areas for neighbors often and I think that would be great for her to herd/tend. There is also several other dog sport facilities around(Dock diving, agility, flyball et, .)If she is more lazy, velcro-y, and/or low drive. She will still come around with me if she wants or she can chill in the house/in the truck while I work and once we get home she can be her lazy self! If she is timid/shy. Well, I could deal with that if it happens(Both parents are Temperament tested. Neither is timid, Shy, or reactive) I am prepared for any personality type that she happens to be. She will not ever be going anywhere I don't want to make this longer than it is so if anyone has any comments, things I may be forgetting to consider right now, please do let me know! I am joining this site to get feedback and info. If I am doing something wrong on if there is other things I need to consider I would truly love to know. P.S sorry if this whole post is a bit confusing. I am writing it on my phone, and I am incredibly tired I've been staying up all night these last few days. I do apologize.

Thanks again for allowing me to join this wonderful site!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your new puppy, that must be very exciting. We love pictures, especially puppy pictures, so please share some when you get the chance.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Welcome. I suggest that you get all the sleep you can get NOW because the minute you pick your pup up, you won't get a GOOD night's sleep for at least a year. Mine is 18 months old and I'm finally beginning to get more than 4 hours of sleep a night. I'm getting 5. You may get frustrated or stressed. If and when you do, come here and talk it out...most of us understand and we can help you with what you need. Congrats on your decision and post pics when you get a chance.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Welcome. I suggest that you get all the sleep you can get NOW because the minute you pick your pup up, you won't get a GOOD night's sleep for at least a year. Mine is 18 months old and I'm finally beginning to get more than 4 hours of sleep a night. I'm getting 5. You may get frustrated or stressed. If and when you do, come here and talk it out...most of us understand and we can help you with what you need. Congrats on your decision and post pics when you get a chance.
Why no sleep? I sleep like a log, just fine. The first week adjusting was the only time I had less sleep than normal, but it was literally two 5 minute pee breaks at night.

OP, getting your pup at 7 weeks may not be ideal, but it sounds like you have a great backup plan in place. Good luck with your little one, and yes, we LOVE pics!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I am awestruck that you wrote all that on your phone. I can barely manage to text my daughter a few sentences. You must have small fingers! :)

Anyway, welcome!
Your pup sounds like she will be very pretty, you'll have to put her picture here so we can all confirm it. ;-)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Why no sleep? I sleep like a log, just fine. The first week adjusting was the only time I had less sleep than normal, but it was literally two 5 minute pee breaks at night.

OP, getting your pup at 7 weeks may not be ideal, but it sounds like you have a great backup plan in place. Good luck with your little one, and yes, we LOVE pics!
Everyone sleeps differently. Some people can fall asleep right away, like my sister and my dad. Some need to decompress. Some need to count sheep. Whatever. Maybe you're one of those that can take your dog out 3 times a night and come back inside and fall asleep right away. Some people, like me, can't. So what I did was to stay up late until 2am for his last pee and wake up around 6am for his first. That way I could get at least 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep...the key word being "uninterrupted." If I wake up in the middle of the night, it's going to take me at least a 1/2 hour to an hour to fall back asleep...it's just how I'm built. Some people can go to sleep at 10p, wake up 3 - 4 times during the night to take the pup out and then wake up at a "regular" time like 7 or 8 and be refreshed. Not a big deal. So my point is we're all different.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I actually have a really hard time falling asleep when it’s bedtime. But once I’m asleep, if I need to take the pup out, or have my 4th pee break for myself, I don’t have a problem going back to sleep. I generally go to sleep around 10-11, up at 3-4 in the morning, and take a nap at mid day when it’s so hot there is nothing better to do! It doesn’t matter what time I go to bed, I cannot sleep past 4am.

I thought maybe you had issues with the pups sleeping, which was keeping you awake.

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
Mine is 18 months old and I'm finally beginning to get more than 4 hours of sleep a night. I'm getting 5. You may get frustrated or stressed. If and when you do, come here and talk it out...most of us understand and we can help you with what you need. Congrats on your decision and post pics when you get a chance.
Unless the pup/dog is sick or you don't need sleep, it is a training issue. A healthy pup can make it through the night from 11.00 PM till 6.00 AM from 10 weeks of age on. All mine did.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the welcome! I am used to the lack of sleep thing. I actually run on 3-6 hours of sleep really well. I have goats and dairy goats, at least mine, get pulled off their mother at birth to be put on a disease prevention program and I often save extra colostrum as well. It is a lifesaver and colostrum I have donated or sold has saved kittens, puppies, calves, foals, goats, lambs, pigs, and the craziest one so far was a bobcat kitten! Goat milk, the universal milk you gotta love! Point being, I normally have baby goats in my house for the first 2-14 days depending on time of year. They need fed every 2 hours their first 24hrs of life and let me know when its feeding time! I just got done with a rescue case of a doe with a retained placenta. She had 2 preemie kids, placenta was left 24hrs+ before I got her. Even with vet flushing her, strong antibiotics, IV fluids, and calcium every 2 hours through the night, she, unfortunately, passed away last week after a long 2 week battle. Her little doe kid passed away a few hours(Lungs just weren't ready) and her little buck kid needed to be fed every 1 hour, extra heat, he also developed pneumonia and needed antibiotics and extra attention. He was finally moved outside a few days ago and will be off antibiotics in another 3 days. I can't wait to be done with all that and on a normal schedule.

Here is little, Niabi, at 4 days old. Not the best pic but the only one I have on my computer

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Unless the pup/dog is sick or you don't need sleep, it is a training issue. A healthy pup can make it through the night from 11.00 PM till 6.00 AM from 10 weeks of age on. All mine did.
That's great! Mine probably could've done it too. I just didn't want to take the chance that I would have to clean up in the house. First of all, I can't stand the smell and the smell can hang in the air for a while in the house. And second, it would set back whatever potty training that I've done. So I just played it safe. No big deal.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I usually just keep the crate by my bed so I can hear if the pup wakes up and acts restless, at which point I take them out. I've never lost too much sleep over an 8 week old pup. Now, my human children...that's a different story.

Lovely pic. What a cutie! It will be fun to watch her grow.

I am very interested in your goats, and how you introduce them to your pup. I'd love updates. I have just took the plunge into chickens (my gateway livestock, haha), and, but I would love to get some goats in several years as my kids get older.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Everyone sleeps differently. Some people can fall asleep right away, like my sister and my dad. Some need to decompress. Some need to count sheep. Whatever. Maybe you're one of those that can take your dog out 3 times a night and come back inside and fall asleep right away. Some people, like me, can't. So what I did was to stay up late until 2am for his last pee and wake up around 6am for his first. That way I could get at least 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep...the key word being "uninterrupted." If I wake up in the middle of the night, it's going to take me at least a 1/2 hour to an hour to fall back asleep...it's just how I'm built. Some people can go to sleep at 10p, wake up 3 - 4 times during the night to take the pup out and then wake up at a "regular" time like 7 or 8 and be refreshed. Not a big deal. So my point is we're all different.
I feel tired just reading this!

Anyway I am one of those people who can sleep and get refreshed anywhere (including on a bench in Disney World and lying on the grass in the Mall at Washington DC!)
My husband needs total dark, total silence, perfect cool temperature...I think he could not survive a puppy! :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hello and welcome! We will not villify you for taking a pup a week early, and for one reason or another many of us have raised even younger pups to successfully become balanced adults. I personally picked up my Dobe/GSD outside a gas station when he was four weeks. He was one of thirteen and the lady didn’t want to pay to feed the newly weaned pups. He weighed less than four pounds and was so full of worms he would’ve died not long after if it went untreated. Today he is a happy healthy 90 lbs! My best hiking buddy, and a staunch protector.

Is there a reason you insist on a female? One of the males could be a much better fit for you personality and energy wise. I used to only want girls too but I now have two boys and wouldn’t trade them for anything. Plus no heats!

My dogs sleep in bed with me from the beginning. I understand not everyone sleeps with their dogs, but it really makes house training a breeze and helps with bonding. I’d feel the slightest puppy stir and run them outside.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, so glad many of you think it will be just fine. I tried posting about it on facebook(I am NOT big on it especially on the animal sales ban that put a huge dent in finding my goats home) as I wanted to show a few family members. I mentioned that she was "Just born this morning, and I'll probably be getting her in about 7 weeks!" Apparently, some of my "Friends" thought I was the spawn of the devil for this and started a whole fight on it and how im a "monster for taking a puppy away from his mother before he is weaned" They very clearly didn't want to listen to my explanation. I kinda felt like I needed to explain myself on here as well. I can't wait to get her and hope I do all the right thing. So glad to have this site to know what to do, and if I am doing it right. It has taken a load of stress off me!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello and welcome! We will not villify you for taking a pup a week early, and for one reason or another many of us have raised even younger pups to successfully become balanced adults. I personally picked up my Dobe/GSD outside a gas station when he was four weeks. He was one of thirteen and the lady didn’t want to pay to feed the newly weaned pups. He weighed less than four pounds and was so full of worms he would’ve died not long after if it went untreated. Today he is a happy healthy 90 lbs! My best hiking buddy, and a staunch protector.

Is there a reason you insist on a female? One of the males could be a much better fit for you personality and energy wise. I used to only want girls too but I now have two boys and wouldn’t trade them for anything. Plus no heats!

My dogs sleep in bed with me from the beginning. I understand not everyone sleeps with their dogs, but it really makes house training a breeze and helps with bonding. I’d feel the slightest puppy stir and run them outside.
Wow, poor boy! That sounds like a beautiful cross! Does he have GSD ears or those funny floppy Dobe ears? Sorry, can't help but wonder!

Interesting story on that. I asked local trainers, GSD Rescue, a few breeders and about 80% said a female would work best. I also consulted google(Sometimes good info, mainly bad info. Lol) and watched a few videos. Everything that I read seemed to be a female would work best. Once that litter was born and I heard only one female, I was right on it to put a deposit on her. Then I started to read numerous of the Male vs Female posts on here and started to reconsider. So many different things. I would LOVE a velcro-y pup. I won't dislike her any less if she is not though. Some people say their males are velcro, some say their females are. Some say their male loves to cuddle. Other say their female is independent and snarky. Other say it the other way around. It was so confusing but so many had said males have that personality that I was wanting.
But so far every time I have thought of switching I just think how attached I already am to her. I am hoping that she gets her dams personality. Very laid back, very velcro-y, super sweet with anything and everything. Her sire has a higher play drive and is a bit more independent, always in the same room but doesn't like to cuddle for long. My pup could go either way. I am prepared for that and won't take it personally. I do still have the choice to switch, but i am so torn.

She will be a bed dog. I was actually looking at a poll about that just before I came to reply here! I have no problem with it at all. Already looking for fur removers, lol. I am really hoping it will help her bond with me more and maybe help her more towards the personality I am hoping for.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Tell your Facebook associates that puppies are actually weaned by the Dam at 4-5 wks...so there's that. I've always started introducing solid food to puppies around 4 wks.

And I would suggest that you worry less about doing everything "right". Puppies are usually pretty forgiving in that regard, we all make mistakes along the way. Just read up on puppy care and potty training as those will be your main concerns for several weeks! Set up the environment so that your puppy is free to be a puppy while not destroying stuff you don't want him to. I like recycling materials for chewable toys. Puppies love the crinkle sound that plastic bottles make, and they can chase and attack them all they want and then be switched out easily as your puppy chews them up to badly. Good luck, and show us more pictures when you can!

Reactions: atomic

·
Registered
866 Posts
I feel tired just reading this!

Anyway I am one of those people who can sleep and get refreshed anywhere (including on a bench in Disney World and lying on the grass in the Mall at Washington DC!)
My husband needs total dark, total silence, perfect cool temperature...I think he could not survive a puppy! :)
Exactly my point.

·
Registered
712 Posts
His ears are a bit of both! Sometimes they stand, most of the time they have a mind of their own. He’s pretty equal in his cross. He reminds me a lot of shepherds past from the teens, 20s era. He is high prey drive, high energy, very vocal, very observant and confident. He is the most athletic bigger dog I’ve seen, he is like a billy goat in the mountains. He has been challenging but he is such a sweetheart and a goofball, him and my GSD are best friends. It’s like watching a couple of kids!

I haven’t ever chosen a pup without meeting them. You just can only tell so much from pictures, you may find you vibe better with one of the others. Or maybe she is your meant to be :) who knows! My boys, especially the GSD, are very Velcro to me. He follows me around bringing toys or my socks and is so happy when I pet him, which is whenever he’s by me. Which is all the time basically lol but really that comes down to the individual dog. His dam and sire were both friendly dogs too, but I’ve found that while he is good with other people I am his mama and chosen person.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
His ears are a bit of both! Sometimes they stand, most of the time they have a mind of their own. He’s pretty equal in his cross. He reminds me a lot of shepherds past from the teens, 20s era. He is high prey drive, high energy, very vocal, very observant and confident. He is the most athletic bigger dog I’ve seen, he is like a billy goat in the mountains. He has been challenging but he is such a sweetheart and a goofball, him and my GSD are best friends. It’s like watching a couple of kids!

I haven’t ever chosen a pup without meeting them. You just can only tell so much from pictures, you may find you vibe better with one of the others. Or maybe she is your meant to be :) who knows! My boys, especially the GSD, are very Velcro to me. He follows me around bringing toys or my socks and is so happy when I pet him, which is whenever he’s by me. Which is all the time basically lol but really that comes down to the individual dog. His dam and sire were both friendly dogs too, but I’ve found that while he is good with other people I am his mama and chosen person.
First off, those pictures are awesome! The second one looks like it could be in a calendar!

2. Holy wow he is gorgeous! He looks so happy! Doberman from the neck down. Above that and he turns into a GSD. I had a good laugh covering up his head and saying doberman, then covering up his body and he is a GSD. And his neck looks so long:wub:

It's definitely not something I would do if they were closer. But at 3 hours away, just to visit for maybe 10 minutes, especially since I am bottle feeding a 3 week old goat(Needs a bottle every 4hrs)it's just not something I can do right now. I see her every 3-5 days via video chat. They set me(Their phone) up and I get to watch mama and the babies. Easy to see my girl. She is the only one without a collar. All males are reserved now. They do have 2 people though that wanted the female. I already picked her so they both ended up with males. I can switch with either of those two males and they will get the female. I will see when I pick her up if I feel she is the match. Everytime I think about switching though I just can't. Something inside tells me not to. Maybe I will feel different when the time comes and I can see her physically.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts