German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my husband took the leap and brought home our first pure bred German Shepherd puppy (9 weeks female). We previously owned a Shepherd coonhound mix that we loved and currently own 2 cats and an 11 year old beagle/basset mix.

It has been just over a week and the puppy has been amazing and is so sweet and laid back. The cats have finally gotten over it, but it’s my older dog that concerns me.

I’m encouraged that they can walk together, be in the same room together, have food around, play around each other, go outside together..but there are time we feel the older dog is jealous and intimidates the little one by low growling (I’m sure the tides will turn in a few weeks as she gets bigger). Not sure what to do so she’s less intimidated or just to get the older dog to stop..

It’s sure gonna be a journey!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Congratulations! Don't let them sort it out on thier own or it may end up badly for your senior. Put a stop to the growling and intimidation and set fourth ground rules now before pup grows and implements her own. Make sure the senior gets plenty of attention and not overlooked in the excitement of the new pup. Is the older pup male or female?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Pup is a female. We thought it best to get the opposite sex from our older dog. Any suggestions on how to discipline the older for being mean without creating any other issues?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts