German Shepherds Forum banner

Hello everyone

689 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Colt751 
#1 ·
I'm new here on the forum my son and i just got a black GSD on Tuesday my son saw an ad and wanted this puppy we drove an hour and 30 minutes we saw the mom and dad and there were only 2 puppies left to choose from I thought the puppies looked very small to be 8 weeks old however this puppy stole my heart I told my son to not get him at first but I had to get this puppy he needed to be rescued so we brought him home. Any suggestions on putting weight on him. They were feeding him Tractor Supply brand food we bought Instinct for puppies we are mixing it with the food they had him on and he is having loose stools I gave him some pumpkin any advise is welcomed

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Adorable tiny thing! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the pup.

Please don't feed him more just because you want him to gain weight. 8 weeks is SUPER EARLY. He will grow on his own rate.

Diarrhea commonly happen due to too much feeding. Stress (He's literally just been removes from his parents, AND littermates, that is A LOT of stress for young pup). Or if it continues for a long time, giardia.

Dial down on the feeding, for his own good. Again 8 weeks is incredibly young. Pumpkin puree normally does the trick. 2 teaspoon a day should do. You should see the result in 3-4 days.

If not, you can either see the vet for fecal test, or try changing the brand of the kibble.

#3 ·
welcome. Glad you came for advice. 4Health from Tractor Supply is not a bad food. It is decent and the price is reasonable. Divide his daily portion into two or three meals and set aside some for training treats.

#4 ·
Sounds like your doing everything right. I feed Instinct and I feel it is a very good kibble. DO NOT worry about weight just feed your puppy and watch. Lose stools could be many things but I wouldn't worry. My 1st thought is your feeding too much but as I said just keep doing what your doing and adjust accordingly and ENJOY..

#8 ·
Puppies this age grow rapidly averaging @ 2.5# a week. They need proper nutrition to develop properly. I would feed a puppy this young three times a day until six months or else free feed. These dogs shoot up so fast they really have a hard time keeping weight on. By restricting food, you also run the risk of a puppy that gets too hungry in between meals and will over eat if given opportunity which can result in the poopy problem.

Don't be afraid to feed your puppy. Make sure you have a vet check him out and take a fresh stool sample with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.