German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just adopted my first German Shepherd on Monday. I have always admired the breed. I finally decided it was the right time to get a puppy. This is Beau, he's about nine weeks old. He's a liver sable. His eyes are a blue-green. Is this normal for German Shepherds? His brothers and sister all had brown eyes, though some were light brown. His parents had dark brown eyes if I remember correctly.

Thanks,
Crystal

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Adorable!! His eyes are that color due to his color! What kennel did he come from? Welcome to the wonderful world of GSD's!!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Welcome to the board. Lots of good info here, so enjoy!!!!!!:)

Your puppy is very cute, but I've never seen eyes that light in a GSD before.

Good luck with your puppy!!!!!;)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Welcome! What an adorable pup!

Angus' eyes were gray when he first arrived. They have since turned into a very bright amber color. Freyja was always dark. From the look of the eyes of your pup, I would say he might be "blue" in coloring. But I might be wrong. One quick remark about his pink nose. My father's old shepherd had a pink nose, although he got his from his obsession with rocks, my parents discovered that the pink nose was sensitive to the sun. Just make sure your little guy doesn't sunburn his nose.

Please keep us updated with pictures.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :). I've learned a lot already from this forum.

He came from K-9 Pines kennel here in Western NC. His particular litter wasn't AKC registered, though both his parents are supposed to be. The litter was small, only four pups. There was something about the father's paperwork being in German (he was imported) and it wasn't worth registering such a small litter. Maybe they just didn't want to mess with it. I don't know what's involved with registering. I wasn't necessarily looking for a registered pup. He looked happy and healthy, that was enough for me. I saw the father on site and pictures of his mother.

I've been doing some research on GSD with blueish eyes. There's not a lot of information, but it seems his eyes my turn a yellow or amber color when he gets older. They may start changing at 10 weeks old.

Thanks for the tip on the pink nose. I looked at it closely, it's pink naturally the best I can tell. It doesn't look scraped or irritated. I plan to get pictures of him weekly to track how much he changes as he grows. I'll keep posting back as the changes become noticeable.

I took a better picture of his back this morning to show his coloring. The picture is very close to accurate. His tail gets pretty dark and is white on the very tip. The breeder said it may stay or it may change. She said the white tip had already gotten smaller. He very well may be a 'blue'. It's a powder gray color on his back, his tail is almost black.

He does appear to be full blooded doesn't he? I can get some pictures of him standing if I need to.

I'm ready for his little badder to get bigger! LOL. The joys of potty training.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome! Beau is a handsome little boy! He got unique coloring that is for sure. I would love to see pics of him as he grows up.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Hi Cryssytal,

what a unique looking puppy! At first glance, I wasn't sure if he was pure-bred, especially since there are issues with the registration of the sire. He may well be though, just with very unusual eyes and coloring.

I checked out the website of the breeders - they may well have breeding stock that goes back to papered, registered GSDs, but they are breeding so far away from the standard, trying to create unique and rare colours and patterns, that the dogs they have are a far cry from what a well-bred GSD is.

The GSD is still a young breed, having been established only a about a hundred years ago. The founder of the breed did use different working dogs of different backgrounds to create his new breed, but also set a standard as to the size, colours, patterns, conformation, and temperament traits would be acceptable and a marker to define the breed. Dogs that fell outside that standard should not be bred as it takes the GSD away from what it is supposed to be in looks, temperament, and behaviour.

Occasionally, some long-lost recessive genes pop up in some dogs and you have the whites, the livers, the blues, etc. Nothing wrong with those dogs, their colour does not make them bad dogs, but breeding for colours specifically excluded from the GSD standard is not breeding GSDs, it is breeding dogs of a certain colour for the sake of their colour. Pretty soon, your dogs don't even look like GSDs anymore, and looking at the pictures on the website, that is the impression I get.

If one buys a pure-bred puppy from a breeder, there should not be any question as to whether it is pure-bred or not, and it should be easy to tell that yes, the pup is pure bred, even if it is blue or liver or sable or black, and have the paperwork to back it up.

Your pup probably is pure-bred, and his eyes may darken up a bit as he gets older. He is very cute, and I'm sure he is a lot of fun already!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Beau is one gorgeous little fellow! :)

Welcome to you both.:greet:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
he is VERY cute, I saw the breeder breeds siberian huskies as well, my first thought was the puppy was a sibe cross.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your comments. I called the breeder today to get his date of birth and vaccination date information. He's 12 weeks old yesterday. I asked again about the paperwork issue. The father is a German import. By the time the paperwork would have gotten taken care of, the puppies would have been pretty old. They decided to postpone getting his paperwork translated and AKC registered and just sell the puppies without paperwork. She said if she decides to go through with finishing getting the male registered, I could get the puppy registered. It's not a big deal to me. He's not a cross between a husky, he is indeed a purebred. I think he just ended up with unusual coloring and eyes. She offered to send me a copy of the German paperwork.

I'm interested to see how his color turns out!

·
Registered
266 Posts
He's really cute, I'd love to see some more pictures of him in about a month or so.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
can we ask who the mom/dad are?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The mom is Reeces, the father isn't on the website. I'm waiting for a picture of him for my records. He is larger than the female, and a bit darker. If I remember right, he was mostly black/very dark brown with very few lighter highlights.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
dad sounds gorgeous!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
before i even read that the breeder also has huskies, i said...that puppy looks like a sibe cross. it's even possible for a litter to have more than one sire. doesn't matter tho, he is ever so cute.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had heard about multiple sires as well. I don't know where the breeding took place. There were no huskies at the kennel's extension location where the puppies were; only the sire was there. The female had been rehomed already, she didn't take well to having puppies (refused to eat etc). The three males in the litter all looked pretty much like mine, though their eyes were brown. The female was much darker in color, almost black. Her eyes were brown as well. The breeder said that some of her livers/blues ended up with blue eyes as well. Who knows. Maybe we can tell one way or another once he gets a little older. Regardless of what he is, he's my little fuzzball :).

I'd like to add I did find a website that collected images of German Shepherd puppies that tries to update through adulthood. One of the puppies had blue-green eyes like mine that was a full GSD. At 10-11 weeks, the eyes changed to a yellow color.

Here's the site: Photos of Blue, Liver, and Fawn German Shepherds!

Here's the puppy with the blue-green eye color: Renegade - Photos from 9 to 13.5 weeks of age

From the site: "Renegade at 9 and 9.5 weeks old. As a young puppy his eyes were a startling blue-green in color. All Blue colored GSD's retain the blue eye color well past that of traditionally colored GSD pups. This eye color can remain in effect through 10 weeks of age."

A little further down the page: "Wow! Look at me mom!! At 12 weeks Renegade's ears have both finally come up. His eyes are now a light brown-green in color. In this picture his light grey-blue nose leather pigment is evident."

I thought that was interesting.

Beau is on week 12 now. Only time will tell.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I thought he looked like a siberian cross too...He is a very unique color though. I think his eyes will darken over time to a light amber color.

He could definitely be PB GSD though - time will tell :)

I can't wait to see pictures of him as he grows - how his color and eyes may change!

Either way he's adorable!

A PP said his eyes look very human and they kind of do...what a very unique puppy you have there!

More pics!! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts