German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
How is Timbre aggressive with her? Is he mouthy, does he growl at her? When you say she is not assertive, what is Timbre doing that she should be correcting?

I'm just trying to ask questions that may help when someone with more experience comes along.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I'm sorry, I thought your first post said 11 months, long day at work. He is just playing. Yes he needs to stop, I get this with my pup and the kids. Have you tried redirecting with a toy?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried redirecting with a toy,and keeping him on a leash around her(makes me feel bad lol) I am just so worried that. What will happen to her if we don't get this resolved soon i mean he's not gonna be little for long and everyone else in the family has already established their place with them, i know if she could overcome her fear this would end. He is gentle and kind to all the others (ages ranging from 2 to 96) and even our 2 cats get along with him

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how old is your sister?

I have tried redirecting with a toy,and keeping him on a leash around her(makes me feel bad lol) I am just so worried that. What will happen to her if we don't get this resolved soon i mean he's not gonna be little for long and everyone else in the family has already established their place with them,

>>>> i know if she could overcome her fear<<<<

this would end. He is gentle and kind to all the others (ages ranging from 2 to 96) and even our 2 cats get along with him

·
Registered
32,022 Posts
I guess I really don't want my sister in law establishing her place with my dog. I protect my dog by supervising the interaction between my dog and everyone else and intervening BEFORE it gets annoying. If a family member is annoying my dog, I intervene. If my dog is annoying a family member I intervene.

Put your pup on lead, and tell him No. He is just playing, and he plays by nipping and biting, but it isn't up to your sister to break him of this. You need to look out for a good puppy class, and work with him on all the puppy behaviors that you do not want your dog to continue on with, like puppy biting, jumping up, etc.

Good luck.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm thinking being fearfull of a 11 week old pup would make her much,
much, much, much younger. i don't think you have a problem with your pup.
learn about puppy behaviour. keep training and socializing and don't expect
much from a 11 week old pup.

Lol . Not spose to ask a ladies age lol. She is 48.

·
Registered
32,022 Posts
Don't let your dog eat her when he is full grown. Not everyone in the world is going to love your dog. That is ok. Just keep the dog away from her if she is frightened of him.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
It's my job to train my puppy so if I need to use the leash (crate would be better) to keep my relative safe while I worked an issue out, then that would be the responsible thing to do.

Another huge help would be to really exercise your pup prior to the excitement of relatives visiting.

·
Registered
32,022 Posts
She lives with us so it's kinda hard to keep them apart. Hopefully classes will help, i hope soon i can leave him off leash when she's in the same room

This is why everyone should be on board when people go and buy a puppy. You have a relative that is fearful of dogs, and it sounds like puppies too. What does she suggest to resolve the issue.

The thing is, you can train your puppy not to bite people, and to be gentle with people, but not overnight. A lot of that is that puppies need to chew and mouth everything. So part of it is a stage and will resolve itself, but if your relative is continues to be fearful of the puppy there is a possiblity that the puppy will be distrustful of her.

Have you considered teaching your puppy to take treats very, very gently. And then have your relative, drop treats for him. And build up to taking the treat carefully from her?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts