German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we got the dog from family friends and wanted to see what you guys thought. Right now she is about 3.5months. We believe she is a mix. We have been told GSD mixed with some other breed(we have not seen the parents) Now what do you guys/gals think? Does is look like it could be a GSD? She has a short coat, we have not noticed sheeding. Now her ears were just flopped over at first, and as you can see in the most recent pictures, they are half up right now. When walking when keeps them tuked backwards. I have caught her when playing with them fully up, but they flop back down to their current position soon after. Reason i asked is my friend has a WGSD and a GSD. One thing he brought up were the short coat(not fuzzy bear looking). Is that a normal characteristic for all GSD puppies? Right now i have worked on a few commands, she knows "sit", "come", and "down" with medium distractions(other people and dogs in the room). They wont work all the time if she is @ play with other dogs. i say maybe half the time. We have not taken her to parks yet, only interaction outside the home is driving and during her walks around the neighborhood along with interaction with my friends dogs. She doesnt have a bad tempermant, i can hold her mouth shut for a good while and she wont try and stop me, i can pick her up and carry her, put her on her belly, and put pressure on her paws with out any type of retaliation.

Sleeping when we first got her:

Laying in her bed(which she has now out grown:

Her playing with her stuffed cat(which we took away bc she ripped the back open, will prob pull the stuffing out and give it back to her)

This is her as of last night, she is 13weeks now
compared to a female 10month GSD

compared to a WGSD(dont know exact age, but he is older and heavier than the female), but overall smaller, smaller paws, mouth, and head...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sure looks like a lil baby Sable GSD to me ... but I'm definitely no expert ! ;)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
First of all, Welcome! She does seem to have some GSD in her. No matter what she is mixed with she sure is cute!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome she is very cute! :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I agree, she is very cute!! Definately looks like GSD in there somewhere. But the wrinkle on her forehead, and the white markings on her paws, speaks to something else also, in my opinion. Maybe some Pitt in there??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i doubt she is purebred, we didnt get it from a breeder, just friends of the family. We are taking her to the vet regularly, we have a schedule that was worked up with the Vet for her to get all her shots. Not to sure on what all she is getting, but everything the Vet recommended she get a vaccine for she is getting. She's very energetic and loves to play fetch. We take her for walks everyday. We do sometimes skip a day bc of the rain we have been getting the past few weeks, but for the most part, drizzling doesnt stop us :) now she does have to stay in the laundry room while we are @work, so she is alone for ~8-9hrs...we try to keep the room full of toys for her, but she outgrew them quickly :p her little bone is too small now, and she ripped open her kitty and her rooster. Not to mention she de-greened a tennis ball So im planning a trip to petsmart today to pick up more toys for her. Also looking for a new bed...was shooping through ebay and found some i lked that would work for her for when she gets bigger

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boxer looks more likely than a Pitt. Good call.

could be, i was debating on doing the DNA test thing, but thought i might wait and see how she turns out as she matures instead...will prob take her out to local GSD meets when i get a chance, my friend takes his out there, so ima go with him next time.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've seen DNA tests come back totally wrong on dogs at the shelter I worked at, dogs that were clearly one thing came back as the farthest thing from what they were, kinda funny. I wouldn't waste the money because GSD or not, you have an ADORABLE dog!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Adorable! I think she may have some Boxer in her. Whatever she's mixed with, it's very becoming on her. :)

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
We have two boxers and I don't see any boxer in her at all. She's a mix but not a clue with what. She sure is cute! Love her white chest and darker face.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Yeah, definately a mix. The head is too wide for a GSD puppy and the coat doesn't seem quite right either. Maybe its the lighting of the photos but the coat seems too short and not the fluffy GSD coat, more like a lab.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get her some interactive toys. You put treats inside and she has to move them around to get the treats out. This will help her on those long boring hours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts