German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 Week old female. We got her at 7 weeks. She is doing very well. We did our research before adding her to our family. She is amazing with potty training and loves her crate at night. Chewing isn't to bad. And she is learning commands and manners well.

I have only one big issue. She dominates our 9 year old terrior mix and uses her as a chew toy. She is now bigger than the terrier and it is hard for our older dog to defend herself. It is clear she is trying to play, but is there anything you can offer to help?

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
It is your job to protect your older dog. Your older dog did not ask for a puppy, to be a babysitter, or to be a teacher. That's your job.

Reactions: JunoVonNarnia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is your job to protect your older dog. Your older dog did not ask for a puppy, to be a babysitter, or to be a teacher. That's your job.
I know it is. Both of them are my responsibility to care for and protect. I do not expect her to do the job I signed up for. Just looking for some possible tips.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Keep the puppy on a drag line. 10' works well for indoors. Pick up or hold the line so that you can promptly correct the puppy when she is inappropriate with the old dog.

Do they play nicely ever? If not, if the puppy is just abusing the old dog, then you need to lay down the law that the old dog is off limits. And YOU need to satisfy your puppy's need to play, bite, tug etc, preferably before you try and teach her how to act around the other dog.

Also, ex pens and crates are your friend. The last 2 puppies I have raised I had a big ex pen jn my living room so puppy can play, chew, whatever and not annoy the older dogs when the family is all together. Sometimes put up one or the other and have quality time with just one dog.

Take your old dog out for ice cream :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep the puppy on a drag line. 10' works well for indoors. Pick up or hold the line so that you can promptly correct the puppy when she is inappropriate with the old dog.

Do they play nicely ever? If not, if the puppy is just abusing the old dog, then you need to lay down the law that the old dog is off limits. And YOU need to satisfy your puppy's need to play, bite, tug etc, preferably before you try and teach her how to act around the other dog.

Also, ex pens and crates are your friend. The last 2 puppies I have raised I had a big ex pen jn my living room so puppy can play, chew, whatever and not annoy the older dogs when the family is all together. Sometimes put up one or the other and have quality time with just one dog.

Take your old dog out for ice cream :)
THANK YOU!!!
I truly appreciate the advise! Both of our dogs are family! They do tug sometimes, but our "old girl" is just not one to play, and of course that is the major part of the puppy's day! We spend a great deal of time playing one on one with the pup. We train and leash train her without our older dog. There really are not to many times that we have an issue. Roxy just has her times when she "goes crazy" and our other dog is all she wants.
Thank you for your kindness and help!

·
Registered
164 Posts
My puppy wants to play with my older rescue mutt. He wants nothing to do with her. I don't keep them separate but I do not allow them to interact freely. I also have a few neutral zones in the house (I call them Switzerland) where there's only very polite interaction allowed.

She was also resource guarding me, so we did a lot training together, the three of us. She wouldn't let him come to me when I called. So I would call them both at the same time and reward. Now I'm working on the puppy's stay while I call over the hound mix. He's good with his stays and she isn't, but at least now she no longer stops him when I call him over.

This was a huge issue because my hound would get so conflicted. I'd be calling him and he wants to come, but she would sit herself at my legs and stare him down, so he'd just freeze about 6 feet away. And then sort of hover...

I use my crate a lot to manage their interaction.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a 6 year old GSD and a 7 month old. They love to play together but at times the 7 month old can be relentless and it's my job to draw the line. The older dog will still put him in his place when necessary but the pup is now considerably taller and marginally heavier (85 pounds already) so again, it's their job to sort out pack hierarchy and my job to manage the escalation.

Your pup at 14 weeks will test boundaries for a few more months. Be the boundary!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts