German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've been lurking around for over a year now and have decided to start posting.

I'm the proud owner of a 7 month old working line GSD named Kona. Although my dear husband would say he's the dog's favorite and I'm just Kona's backup owner (he's right). lol

This is not my first dog, but is my first GSD. Hubby had a GSD as a kid. We have a young daughter, so first and foremost Kona is a family companion. The deterrent factor of having a GSD around our house with a child now is a nice bonus.

BUT, we also want to dabble around in dog sports as a hobby - which is the main reason I want to post more, to get advice on various intro level sports and training for them. I'm personally interested in Rally. My husband is interested in something a bit more active, maybe agility? We'll see. We've been to multiple puppy and obedience classes, and narrowed our choices down to a trainer that we like. She has working dog experience which has already been super helpful to us. Our breeder also offers lifetime support and has been a great resource as we muddled our way through those early months.

At 7 months now, we're beginning to see signs of Kona settling in the house better/quicker. Crate training has been good, house breaking her was quick and relatively painless when we first brought her home at 8 weeks. As GSD people already know she picks up things so fast. We had to 'entertain' her with extra attention or obedience games during some of the early classes we took her to because she was bored.

In the beginning we primarily worked on focus and then introduced basic obedience commands. We probably waited too long to introduce heel, trying to catch up on that. She does it because she's required to, I'm having trouble making it fun for her. She adores fetch and tug and chasing a toy on a rope. As she's gotten a bit older her toy drive has increased, while her food drive seems to have staggered. I don't know if that's normal or if she's just bored with the treats. I'd like to continue to train with food, as well as a toy.

I've already started working with her on some very basic Rally commands, in public we're still mainly working on focus and basic obedience and polite greetings. In addition to sports, I would like a CGC.

Anyway, with all that out of the way, here are some pictures of our big beautiful girl!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like Kona's got lots of adventures ahead. It's always fun to see people working with their dogs, so do keep us posted!

Reactions: CoffeeGirl

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Kona is beautiful! What breeder did you get her from? And welcome to the forum of course.

I have heard (and seen) that agility is extremely time consuming and expensive if you want to do it competitively. Rally sounds like a lot of fun and may be easier for someone new to sports. Have you guys considered doing nosework with her?

Reactions: CoffeeGirl

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kona is beautiful! What breeder did you get her from? And welcome to the forum of course.

I have heard (and seen) that agility is extremely time consuming and expensive if you want to do it competitively. Rally sounds like a lot of fun and may be easier for someone new to sports. Have you guys considered doing nosework with her?
She's a Vom Haus Weinbrand dog. (I don't think she posts on this forum much.) I just could not be happier with her breeder. So far her temperament is fantastic. Aloof as a GSD should be, but once introduced to new things they are really no big deal to her at all. Some of our neighbors dogs have issues around the Fourth of July, Kona never once flinched at the loud noises. She's still pretty unsure around strangers approaching us and us walking away from her. Greeting strangers have definitely gotten better and I can see us getting where we want to be with that. Us walking away from her, boy, she really struggles right now with that. Which is something involved in the CGC, so we'll keep working.

She's as gentle with our daughter as we could expect from a large working dog. We were pretty no nonsense right from the beginning when it came to Kona using her teeth on our daughter, that hasn't been an issue for a while now. Now if there are any scratches or knock downs it's quite simply from Kona being an awkward 'kid' that has a lot of body weight to throw around. Still growing into herself, and she's helped toughen up our four year old at the same time. :)

We're still on the fence about agility. My husband is quite handy and could build some obstacles for our backyard pretty easily, so even if we decide to not do it competitively, we may just do some things for fun. I honestly do think Kona would love it though. And yes we have considered tracking! Our trainer showed us some very basics to work with her on (she's a mondioring person). But I'm not quite sure what kind of nose work 'style' to work toward.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I looked up the kennel and I recognize the breeder's name from a face-book page I follow. I'm excited to see one of her dogs here on the forum. Looking forward to a lot of updates!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I'd come back here while I had a few minutes to wish our Kona a happy 8 month birthday! It rained recently and she had a blast in a mud puddle. I did not have a blast cleaning up this dog and the mess she made. There was mud. Everywhere.

In training news, she's progressed extensively over the last week on the place command. Very stable there even if someone knocks at the door. Her heel still kinda sucks. For a pet, her heel is fine. But as our trainer says, for Rally or any other obedience routine, her shoulder is too far forward. Heel also kills her happy drive. She loves to do any behavior we teach but as soon as heel comes into play, you can tell by her expression she's saying "Ugh, fine, if I have to" to herself.

Any tips to make happy heeler? Any tricks for adjusting her heel position back?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts