German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just received my 8 week old female shepherd puppy yesterday. I raised GS pups 30+ years ago and don't remember it being so hard. I feel like a new father at 60. Granted it will take Lacey a few days to get used to us and her new home. Plus, United Airlines PetSafe failed to board her in Houston when the breeder dropped her off and the poor pup was stranded in a crate (but supposedly kenneled by PetSafe) until 5PM the next day. What I am seeing is that I time it about 30 minutes after she drinks water and eats, stress "outside" and take her out. She does her business then after 10-15 minutes comes back into the house wanting to play. However, within 2-3 minutes, she squats and pees on the floor. Not as much, but how to I stop this?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
At eight weeks of age, there is nothing that you can do except be patient and keep working at house training. Her bladder is so tiny and she will pee and poo many more times each day now than she ever will as an adult. Just take a deep breath and enjoy her.

She has just left her home, her littermates and her mother. Her entire world has been turned upside down and she will need time to adjust, relax and settle in. House training is a journey that begins now and continues for the next several months.

I have a ten month old puppy and just went through this. It just takes patience and consistency.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Welcome!! What a travel nightmare for a little puppy! How long was her flight once she was able to actually board?

Did the breeder have the pups in an area that they could use a doggy door to go out/potty? That really helped with my pups housebreaking, he only had 3 accidents total after he came home at almost 8 weeks old.

I would maybe teach her to use a bell when she needs to go out, most pups pick up that trick easily.
When she does potty inside and you catch her in the act, pick her up, run her out to designated spot and use a key word 'outside or potty'
As soon as she settles back into an eating/drinking schedule so should her bladder.
Hope to see some photo's of your new puppy!!!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
or since she seems to be doing when she comes back in, either keep her outside longer, or bring her in wait a minute, take her back out:)

I hadn't had a puppy in 9 years when I got Masi, it was culture shock:) Especially those 2 am potty breaks! But the good news is, they pass quickly and in reflection, arent so bad:)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I had forgotten how hard a puppy was too when I got Stella at 11 weeks. Now at 21 months it is all just a memory. It all goes by too fast.
The days are long but the years fly by....

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts
At 8 weeks old it's going to be at least a few weeks and maybe even a couple of months before she's housebroken. There are lots of threads on the topic in the Puppy forums on the board, if you scan through them you should find plenty of information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts