German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Not sure if this is where I should post however, I'm new here so "Hello" to everone and I would like some advice about a German shepherd x husky.

We have seen a 7 year old at the local rescue center and would like to adopt her. She visited our house and we took her for a walk and all went well.

I would like to know if anyone else has got this kind of dog and if so could they offer any kind of information/advice about them. I'm a little concerned because we do have cats and hid them away from the dog on our first meeting, also we have kids too.

Hope you can help!:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i would suggest researching not only GSD by Husky as well. That way you can have an idea as to why the dog does some of the things they do and such. Husky's are well known for not being able to get along with cats. I personally tend to avoid husky mixes for that reason. Husky's will eat cats without a second thought. I'm not saying it wouldnt work out because there are several people on this board who have GSD/husky mix and have cats as well. But be aware its a possibility the dog has more husky than GSD traits. Generally researching the breeds you know are a part of the dog will help greatly in helping you to understand that particular dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
did the dog meet the kids? the dog should also be cat tested if possible.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Sorry, don't have a mix but there's a few people on the forum that do- hopefully they'll help you out! Did she meet your kids? Generally, gsds will accept any member of the family including cats, not sure about huskies. Do you have any info on her past home?

·
Registered
32,873 Posts
I would suggest bringing the dog back to meet the kids and the cat.

DH's grandparents had a shepherd/husky mix. Best dog ever. And he never ate a cat...killed a whole lot of wood chucks though. He was very protective of Grandparents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks KZoppa,

I have done a bit of general reading about both the breeds. The dog did meet the kids and sat down with all of us, she even lay on her back which the rescue lady told us had taken her 4 days to do. We were told that she has been good with the rescue lady's cats and backed away when 1 of them hissed at her.
I'm not to familiar with dogs (have to forgive me here! - I've only had a little terrier years ago). Should I be posting in another section on here to find other people that have got the same breed? and if so where is it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, don't have a mix but there's a few people on the forum that do- hopefully they'll help you out! Did she meet your kids? Generally, gsds will accept any member of the family including cats, not sure about huskies. Do you have any info on her past home?
We've been told that she did belong to an elderly man who had to give her up as he was no longer able to care for her. He tried to find someone but couldn't so in the end she was put into kennels. The situation now is that she is with the foster/rescue lady who has cats.

If I find out any more I will let you know, and thanks so much for answering my questions!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
actually just the fact you posted this asking for advice will get a lot of hits and information for you. My question is how long has the rescue had the dog. Some dogs at first will be shy/afraid/intimidated by the cat but then change. I ask because its always a possibility. There is one person this site i know for sure has a GSD/husky mix but i dont know if they have cats. BUT they would be able to give you some advice on the possible personality in general of the dog given the mixes. I can only hope they respond.

I would suggest researching the two breeds further and more in depth. It would help massively to know about both. I cant stress that enough. You need to find out how YOUR cat would react to what the cat would essentially view as an intruder too. If the dog is one who will ignore the cat to avoid any problems, the cat will learn to ignore the dog while still naturally keeping a careful eye on the dog. Also learning about training and such as the dog expects you to know upon going home with you. Knowing how the dog is handled will make the transition easier as well. Is the dog polite on the leash? There are just lot of questions to ask and any rescue will be happy to see that you really are interested in getting to know the dog before you're thrust into living together. No question is a stupid question. Is the dog crated at night or allowed to sleep where you sleep (on the floor usually). Has the dog been allowed on furniture? Will you allow the dog on the furniture? there is no right or wrong answer for this either. Some people allow their pets on the furniture as long as they get off when told to without argument. Some people NEVER allow pets on the furniture. Write down all questions you have regarding the dog and any others that come up. It will help greatly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.