German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a new GSD puppy the last few weeks. I'm fairly new to the breed, but not to dogs since I've been a groomer for 32 years. My question is... I found a puppy nearby, first of all, what do I look for in a healthy GS puppy? Also, she is letting them go at 7 weeks, I told her I would need to wait till at least 8 weeks or more. But, what if the other puppies are gone before then? Also, what size should a healthy puppy be?
I live in a very rural area and part of the reason for the puppy is so I can feel safe. I have two very small toy poodles and folks just laugh at them.
Anything else I should look for? I already asked about OFA of the hips, any other genetic problems I should look for?
Thanks.
Jude

·
Registered
27,294 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Welcome from another in MI this thread is very informative in what to look for in a good responsible breeder:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/137533-things-look-responsible-breeder.html
Please make sure you really read those threads. There are many really poor breeders out there and though the puppies are all adorable. The health and temperment issues in the adult dogs can be horrific.

Take your time finding a puppy or adult dog. And, frankly, if I was getting a puppy I'd take the next month or so to educate myself and find a breeder I felt comfortable with and get the puppy a bit later in early spring.

Just telling you, housebreaking a puppy in the midst of winter is a MISERABLE experience!!!!!! :wild:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all for the warm welcome, I am reading as much as I can (sick right now with the flu, so reading isn't at the top of my to-do list), loads of information on this site, I'm sure I will get educated quicky.

·
Registered
58 Posts
LOOK FOR A BRIGHT EYED ACTIVE PUPPY. THE COAT SHOULD BE FAIRLY SOFT TO THE TOUCH NOT BRITTLE. NICE PINK GUMS AND NOT POT BELLIED (pale gums and pot belly often mean parasites) I DO NOT LET MY PUPPIES GO UNTIL THEY ARE AT LEAST 10 WEEKS OLD. THEY NEED THIS TIME TO LEARN FOR THIER LITTERMATES ON HOW TO BE SOCIALBLE. DOES THIS BREEDER HANDLE THESE PUPPIES EVERY DAY OR ARE THEY JUST IN A PEN. WHAT ARE THE PARENTS LIKE. IF YOU CAN'T AT LEAST SEE THE MOTHER WALK AWAY VERY FAST.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
there are some great breeders in MI,,Kelly above being one and Chris Wild as well

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello from Saginaw! You may have found your pup already but if not may I recommend Shadow Valley Shepherds in Caro. That is where we found our Gracie after a few unfortunate meet ups with back yard breeders. Hope this helps and best of luck to you :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts