German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time we were at my husbands Aunts house we had swam and played all day towards the end of the day we sat on the grass and were all chatting as the dogs laid down. Zoe (8months) got up to go sit next to her mom where Charlie was and she had sniffed him when Charlie lunged (he was awake) he bit her twice before we were able to pull him back. He punchered her cheek and sliced her tounge.

Second was at our house with other other pup duke (14 months) they were asleep next to my feet on the floor in front of the couch. Charlie got up to get some water and duke followed they came back to lay down and I guess duke got too close to Charlie and he attacked him. I was able to break that up but not before he got his next couple gashes on the neck and cheek.

Third time- today was with my sisters 5 month old German Shepherd. They had come over last night and got along great so they came back over today and we’re getting along fine. My sister brought food over after she left Yuki (her pup) with me. We had sat at the table Charlie laid next to me about 5 feet away.
And Yuki came to smell him when he lunged I happened to be looking at them when it happened and was able to act quick before he did any serious damage to her. He did puncher her nose but nothing too bad.

I’m at a loss. We play with him, take him on walks and always cuddle him.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Hi April, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you're having problems with Charlie, but without a lot more detail about the situation it would be impossible to guess what might be going on. Has Charlie always gotten along with these dogs in the past? Were you right there to see what led up to this attack? Was it completely unprevoked and out of the blue, or was there some toy or other item of value involved? Do all the dog's know each other well and see each other frequently? Did it happen at your house, or the other dog's house? Did any of the dogs gef seriously injured? How old and what genders are the other dogs?

As you can see, lots of questions!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should be more specific lol.

Aunts dog was at her house we spent the entire day swimming and playing together peacefully, we had all sat next to each other on the grass and Zoey (the puppy) walked over to Charlie who was laying next to my aunt and tried to sit down next to her and he attacked the pup. He punchered her lip and sliced her tounge before we broke it up.

Second time at our house with our other dog duke- we had just come inside from playing ball and they were all sleeping on the floor by my feet, Charlie had gotten up to get water and duke followed they came back to lay on the floor in front of the couch and Charlie attacked him he watched it happen and broke it up was soon as I could. Charlie sliced dukes neck a bit and got the side of his face before I pulled him away. He tried a few more times on separate occasions but I was able to stop it before it escalated.

Today at my house my twin brought her 5 month white German Shepherd over whom was over last night and they played fine.
They were playing fine for the first hour and my sister had left to grab food when we came back we sat and Charlie was laying next to my on the floor and Yuki (pup) came over and sniffed him when I happened to watch and he lunged at her and started to attack. I pulled him back and he tried a few more times to lung poor girl was so scared. He bit her nose and punchered it but not all the way through.

I’m so lost on what to do.
We walk him, play with him and give him loads of attention.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First time we were at my husbands Aunts house we had swam and played all day towards the end of the day we sat on the grass and were all chatting as the dogs laid down. Zoe (8months) got up to go sit next to her mom where Charlie was and she had sniffed him when Charlie lunged (he was awake) he bit her twice before we were able to pull him back. He punchered her cheek and sliced her tounge.

Second was at our house with other other pup duke (14 months) they were asleep next to my feet on the floor in front of the couch. Charlie got up to get some water and duke followed they came back to lay down and I guess duke got too close to Charlie and he attacked him. I was able to break that up but not before he got his next couple gashes on the neck and cheek.

Third time- today was with my sisters 5 month old German Shepherd. They had come over last night and got along great so they came back over today and we’re getting along fine. My sister brought food over after she left Yuki (her pup) with me. We had sat at the table Charlie laid next to me about 5 feet away.
And Yuki came to smell him when he lunged I happened to be looking at them when it happened and was able to act quick before he did any serious damage to her. He did puncher her nose but nothing too bad.

I’m at a loss. We play with him, take him on walks and always cuddle him.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
This will take having a face to face trainer test Charlie and help you come up with a plan. In the meantime you may want to train Charlie to wear a muzzle. A properly fitted basket style muzzle won't hurt your dog and they can eat and drink with them on. That way when you visit even if Charlie looses it no one is taking a trip to the emergency vet. At the very least keep him on a long leash and show him that you can get to him no matter what. Just make sure he doesn't "come up the leash" with miss directed aggression.

As Tim mentioned, there could be any number of reasons for this. The muzzle and the leash are for you to manage things until you get local help. And shop around for a good trainer. They typical big box store trainers won't be able to help much with this.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
It isn't typical, even for a dog-aggressive dog, to attack without warning. So my guess would be that there may be signs of agitation or tension that you may be missing. But I agree with Car2ner, get a muzzle for Charlie to keep the other dogs safe while you search for a trainer that has experience with dog-aggression issues. From the photo you posted I doubt Charlie is truly dog aggressive, but having a good trainer help you get a handle on this behavior is the best advice anyone can give without seeing the dog in person. Good Luck, and let us know how it goes with the trainer!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Okay, correct me if I'm wrong about this - it seems like on all three occasions, Charlie was sitting or lying next to you when the other dog came over. If that's the case, for some reason, Charlie has decided he needs to protect you from other dogs.

I agree that you need professional help to fix this, but in the meantime, as suggested, Charlie needs to be muzzled. Keep him on a leash, and if he shows ANY signs of going for another dog, use the leash and your voice to correct him.

How long have you had Charlie, and how old is he? I don't see that information anywhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charlie is 4 years old and we’ve had him since he was 6 weeks old, I went back to work full time in February this year and it’s mainly been us and my daughter with him. All but one he was next to or near me and the time he went after my Aunts dog I was standing in front of her while she was sitting and he was to her left and my right but closer to her. We have bought a muzzle thank you guys! And are on the search for a trainer!

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
do let us know how it works out! Others may have a similar issue and could learn from your situation.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have two male GSDs that I have chosen to keep seperate because they have gotten into scuffles. It never resulted in anything other than some scratches, but I don't want to take any chances. Both dogs are excellent around other dogs when leashed, but I don't let them off leash around other dogs. I keep one dog upstairs and one downstairs or in the fence, and rotate them every couple of hours. It's kind of aggravating, but not too bad now that I am used to the routine. I would suggest just keeping your dog away from other dogs unless they are leashed and under control, or until you work with a trainer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts