German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So for starters she was born on October 5th 2019. She is going to be 12 weeks tmrw. Not gonna lie she's grown like a weed and is nearly double what she was at 8 weeks. Maybe not that much but at least 50 percent bigger. My question is, I feel like she is growing properly but wanted to get some other inputs to make sure. She has a plush coat which I know makes her look like a puff ball lol. Love her so much already though!! Here's some pics of 8 weeks gradually to last 3 pics were taken tonight 1-4-20 at 12 weeks. Edit: does anyone think she will be a big female shepherd? Her paws are monsters.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Bright eyed and bushy tailed LOL!

What does she weigh? She certainly looks like she's growing well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'll post an edit once we go for her checkup and shots later this week bc I'm not sure. Thanks for the response though! It's my first shepherd and I want her to be happy and healthy as can be!

·
Super Moderator
5,435 Posts
for the first 5 to 6 months they grow very fast. It seems that you go to bed and then wake up and you can see that they've gotten bigger. It does slow down around a half year old. They are full height around a year or so but "fill out" the during the second year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly she was bought from a backyard breeder so I dont have any official papers. Her parents were on site though and pretty large so I guess that's my answer on that. Glad to hear she is growing well and also an idea on how long she will grow for.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm going to guess from the shape of her legs, she'll be svelte vs stocky. They aren't terribly thick but they are quite long. Jack's legs were like that as a pup, and he has a tall, lean, mean, running machine shape at 3 years old. Kodi's legs are the opposite. They're massive and thick, so I think he'll turn out more tank-shaped.

·
Super Moderator
32,747 Posts
It's my first shepard and I want her to be happy and healthy as can be!
It's shepHERD. :) She looks fine, but without knowing how much she weighs now compared to what she weighed at 8 weeks, it's hard to comment on her weight gain. At that age it's not unusual for them to gain a couple pounds a week - 10-12 pounds or more a month. That will start to slow down, as car2ner mentioned.

Basically, her growth rate and adult weight are determined by her genes, you just need to make sure you're feeding her an appropriate amount along the way. Looking at her body condition is a better indicator of that than numbers on a scale because there's such a broad range of what's healthy and normal. With very fluffy coats I like to run my hand down their side and feel the ribs. Overly prominent, feed a bit more per meal. A little pudgy, cut back a bit. During this time of rapid growth, her nutrition requirements will vary. A puppy needs as much as double the food as an adult dog of the same weight. But if you keep that up for too long you'll end up with a fat dog so you'll start to taper back at some point. As long as your puppy maintains a nice tuck up at the abdomen when viewed from the side, and has a waist when viewed from above (or is appropriately lean based on a rib check for thicker coats), she's growing at a healthy weight.

As to how big she'll end up, it's impossible to guess. Knowing her parents weights would be a clue, but it's not definitive. Cava will be 2 years old tomorrow and is still more than 10 pounds less than her dam, and closer to 15 - 20 pounds less than her sister. She's the smallest in her litter and there is a pretty big size range among her littermates.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the detailed reply. I know I didn't post a whole lot of information so it's hard to make any guesses. I believe she was 17lbs at 9 weeks. I will check out what you said when I get home this evening. Also I can't believe I spelled shepherd wrong lol bc I know the proper way. That's what I get for doing an entire post on phone. I really am thankful for all the fast responses and information. Anything I can do to help her grow healthy and be happy I want to do. This is my first big breed dog and first Shepherd so I'm new to all of this. Research only goes do far until you own one of these beautiful animals.

·
Super Moderator
32,747 Posts
17 pounds at 9 weeks is a fairly large puppy. I think Dena and Keefer were in the 17/18 pound range at that age. She ended up being about 72/73 pounds as an adult and his ideal weight was exactly 80 pounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts