German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning all!! ***warning long post***another "New Guy" here.. im new to the forums..but not new to the GSD! just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. i am getting ready to purchase my next GSD and although its been about 10yrs or so since my last GSD, im no stranger to the breed! ive owned GSDs most of my life and am beyond excited to be getting another! i do have some questions..and have some self educating to do. First off.. im interested in Clubs in my area.. I am located in Georgia, USA that is.. ive never been in a dog club but am interested in them. in the beginning i was not so knowledgeable in regards to pedigree's, progeny, titles and awards of the like.. i basically just had wonderful family pets.. i did at one time(now i know)make the awful mistake of becoming a "backyard breeder"..my intention was not to profit from it but only to try and give others who loved the GSD as i did, an opportunity to get their own and do what i did and have what i had.. a wonderful family pet to love! its was only recently that i realized what a mistake in many regards i had made. my first male was a beaut!! he was the best dog ive ever had.. he went practically everywhere with me, had an amazing build and a wonderful temperament. i did not register him when i got him(sure wished i had now) nor did i register my female and or any of the litters i had with them. i know i know i know.. please don't bash me.. i was young and didn't feel the need nor care for the papers of a dog.. he was my best friend.. i didn't need papers to tell me how much i loved him.. but, im older now and have somewhat of a better understanding of just how special the GSD is. that being said, im no expert... im just a GSD lover who wants another!! so please.. go easy on me!! LOL.. i will probably been question heavy for a few weeks.. thanks and hope to introduce our new GSD to everyone very soon!!
**side note**

my purpose for our GSD is of personal protection/family pet and to basically go where we go

my family is very active

we have plenty of land for our new love to run and play
he/she will be exposed to a many adventures and a whole lotta love

p.s. some of my immediate questions are:
1. clubs - what and where located in my area

2. health screens - what exactly and costs
3. training - self train or professional train

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It’s great you mention growing from your past experiences with breeding and realize the detrimental effects that can have. No judgement here, I always appreciate when people realize something about their past or experiences and learn something from it, grow from it. Change can be a great thing.

So great to hear how excited you are to get a new GSD. There really isn’t any breed quite like them huh? ?

Best of luck looking into the info you are here for! Feel free to ask questions, of course! That’s what this forum is for. I’m no expert here and I’ll leave more the more knowledgeable to answer your questions but wanted to say welcome. Looking forward to seeing your experiences with the future GSD!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
When you say clubs, are you referring to protection sports clubs? If so, do you have preference for a particular protection sport? Also, realize good protection sports training clubs do not really train for personal protection. And if you want a dog for personal protection, you need a certain type of dog and there are potential liabilities when you have a personal protection dog or even teaching a dog to bite in sport. Some dogs trained in sport, depending on the dog, the sport and the training, will actually fight a person for real. Id say that is the exception rather than the rule, mainly due to the training and type of dog. To find a protection sports club, select a sport and Google for clubs in your area. As for health screens, that is you doing your homework when researching pedigrees of breedings if you are getting a pup. You are mainly going to find hip and elbow ratings and hopefully learn about the health and temperament of the dogs in the pedigree and what they have produced. If you are getting an adult, I would want the hips, elbows and spine x-rayed, blood work, parasite check and an overall examination by a good vet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks chip! what do i mean by clubs... thats a good question.. reason i asked that..(1).several of the "qualified, certified, bonafied" professional GSD owners ive corresponded with here lately all say..."make sure you join a club"...but they never say what kind of club.. and for what exactly! as i stated..im not new in any way to the GSD.. ive had a GSD in my life 30yrs give or take.. one way shape form or another.. ive never heard of a GSD club.. but i like the idea.. (2.)as far as the heath screenings go. say im getting a pup.. exactly when or do i...have it screened? and what are the costs associated with it? (3.) training.. its also been stated that i should look into obedience training for my dog. now im used to semi training my dogs to do as i command..nothing major..simple basic training/commands..ie..fetch..sit..stay..shake..good boy.. that kinda thing. im not looking for high end training but am curious as to the IPO stuff..and so im doing some research into that aspect as well! hope that clears up a few things.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

In my area- Florida- the sight of a German Shepherd seems to be 'personal protection' enough. My last female was

a medium sized silver sable and when out dog walking in our town, people would cross the street rather than pass us on the sidewalk. And she was a soft, mellow, sweet sociable dog but her looks alone scared people. And I taught her to have
a gruff "bear bark" on command which worked when I was home alone.

I agree with Chip, an aggressive dog is a serious liability. I've seen too, too many shepherds lately that have bad,
aggressive temperaments and sometimes owners have a hard time controlling them. One was a local police dog and
I;m sure he was expensive and had lots of training.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Welcome!

I can't answer anything about clubs, and I don't know quite what you mean by personal protection. I can tell you that if you are looking at an actual protection dog you need to first check laws in your location, and I would suggest purchase a trained adult.
If you are looking for a sport dog that's different and others can direct you but the usual advice is to go find a club and get to know the people and the dogs. They can normally direct you to a breeder.
Contrary to popular belief protection dogs aren't vicious, and in fact need to be ultra stable and superbly trained.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts