German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and the wife 6 months ago had to put our Harley down and it was a tuff last year for Harley and us up to the final last day we had to put him down. We adopted Harley when he was 2 years of age and he was almost 11yrs old at the time he passed. He had an abusive owner that Harley was rescued from and the shelter thought he would make a good candidate to try out for the police department and that didn't work out for him either. I'll never forget the time when I went to see him for the first time at the shelter. The only GSD I had before Harley was a mixed GSD and not even close to the size of Harley and no previous experience with such a big boy. The girl at the shelter gave me a leash and told me his cage number. OK, go to his cage and WOW what a beautiful GSD and couldn't believe nobody wanted him. I'm all by myself back in the cage area with all the other dogs and it's quiet until I open Harley's cage and he just helped himself out! I was scared to grab his collar LOL and he got all the other dogs all wound up.:eek: The girl came back laughing at all of us and just hooks the leash to him and says come on. After spending an hour in the back fenced yard with Harley I didn't want to leave him.:) I would've refinanced my home just to get another year with Harley but, the vet said their's nothing that we can do and had to put him down. I told myself I could never get another dog in my life again after having to put my Harley down. I never could remove his bed beside my bed even after 6 months and finally got myself to get another GSD but, was selfish this time around and bought a puppy and named him HarleyJr. In this picture Harley Jr is 10 weeks old and is almost 11 weeks old now.:hug:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Aw - Harley, Jr. is a handsome lil' guy! Your story about Harley is really sweet. I'm sorry for your loss - it's so hard.

I bet you'll be reminded of Harley quite a lot as you watch Harley, Jr. grow up.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Harley Jr. is such a cutie! It seems he has healed your heart. We would love to see pics of him as he grows.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Veronica, nice to meet you and still wiping the tears up from typing my little story about Harley. Harley Jr is a good boy and is coming along well. He goes to back door when ready to go potty and sits nice for me before letting him out. He knows sit and down so far. We're are working on stay and come now. He's got a real pleasant personality and good spirits like our first Harley. He loves going to PetSmart with me to pick out new toys.:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harley Jr. is such a cutie! It seems he has healed your heart. We would love to see pics of him as he grows.
Hello, nice to meet you and will show more pictures of him as he grows. Harley Jr has definitely put a big smile on my face once again.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I'm so sorry for your loss. Enjoy your pup and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures as he grows! The dog in my avatar is our Harley!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
awww Harley jr is a cutie for sure. I'm so sorry about your first Harley, he sounds like he was a wonderful dog and rewarded you with years of happiness for saving him..

I'm sure you'll have many wonderful years with this little guy to

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Welcome! What a sweet story about Harley. Its always tough to lose such a wonderful friend and family member. But it does get easier as times goes on.

Harley Jr. is adorable! I'm sure he will make you laugh and lick your tears when you feel sad. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hello and Welcome, sorry about your loss of your beloved pet Harley. Harley Jr will help to fill the void of your loss and to help you make new memories of fun times. Your new pup is sure a cutie! :greet:

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
What a great story and Harley 1 seemed like a wonderful dog! Wonderful that you are now able to open your heart to a new pup, that will never replace Harley 1 but be a new light in your life! And he's adorable!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you to everyone for the kind words! I've been up late researching the forum and have learned so much in a little amount of time. This is a GREAT forum! The main thing upsetting the most is I would only feed Harley #1 Science Diet because the vet told me it's the best and had to give him benadryl for allergies. Harley Jr is getting Science Diet puppy large breed and has only been on it for 3 weeks thank god. Tomorrow that food is going straight in the trash and putting him on Wellness LBP. I already did read the thread on the food recommendations and Wellness was the only one with no negatives so, will see how Harley Jr likes that first.;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up putting Harley on the Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Food and he seems to really like it. Here's another picture of him at 12 weeks weighing in at 36.2lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's another picture of HarleyJr at 18 weeks now and will get his weight at next vet visit. He's a little big now to hold and stand on the scale. Here's a picture of HarleySr that I found and scanned.I forgot to say I'm from PA also. Will try to get a better picture of Harley when my wife gets back from FL, kind of hard to get Harley to understand that I'm trying to take his picture and that he needs to stay still.:) I attached a couple other cute pictures. The little guy on top of the desk his name his Charlie and needed a little get away from Harley. I forget what Harley's exact age is in the 2 pictures with the other boys but, the last picture is him at 18 weeks in the laundry room.

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello & welcome! Congratulations on your new pup - he is soooo cute. I LOVE the 3rd pic with all three dogs laying down together!:wub::wub: They look so cozy. Are they yours??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, all 3 of them are mine. Charlie is a Pug & Jack Russel mix(5yrs old) and Joey is a Blue Heeler & Springer mix(9 yrs old). When Charlie gets jealous of me giving HarleyJr to much attention he'll grab a toy to distract Harley and Harley will grab the toy and start playing with it, while Charlie is proud he just out smarted Harley and took all his daddy's attention back.LOL:D Little Charlie always wins at playing tug a war with Harley too, can you believe that? Harley drags him all over the place with the rope while playing tug a war but, teeth forbidding Charlie don't give up!:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts