German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this because my husband had to perform the Heimlich maneuver on Wolfie the other day. Wolfie was eating a carrot when I came home. He was so excited to see me that he inhaled a large piece of the carrot, and it got stuck in his throat. I couldn't get it out, and my husband had to do the Heimlich on him. It took 4 tries, and it finally came flying out of his mouth. It is very upsetting to your dog choking like that. Please take time to learn how to do the Heimlich maneuver on your dog. You just never know when it may happen to you.
Choking and the Heimlich Maneuver | petMD

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thank you, I will look into this and learn it myself. You never know if you one day need it. Thankfully your husband did know how to do it and got it out!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm glad Wolfie is ok! It's never a bad thing to take a pet first aid course or read up, most humane societies or shelters host them a few times a year

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Great job!!!

The instructions in the link weren't very clear -- is the motion in a dog the same kind of J-shaped movement they train in first-aid for humans, but leaned forward (would be upward, and then laterally toward the chest)?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great job!!!

The instructions in the link weren't very clear -- is the motion in a dog the same kind of J-shaped movement they train in first-aid for humans, but leaned forward (would be upward, and then laterally toward the chest)?
I believe so. My husband is a trained first responder. He didn't know the dog specific heimlich, but said he performed the motion like he would on a human. He said he obviously used less pressure and made sure to be below the ribcage.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I'm so glad Wolfie is ok. That had to be scary for you ,Wolfie and your husband. Thank goodness your husband knew what to do. I'm planning on taking a pet first aid course in April. Give Wolfie a hug for me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow, what a frightening thing to have happen! I'm glad Wolfie is ok and that you guys were there to help him. Nice job!

·
Registered
206 Posts
A great skill to learn! Glad wolfie is ok! Our Mika obstructed on kibble. Luckily we are both healthcare puppy parents, and my husband had it out in two thrusts! Scary experience for sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts