German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, we recently hit 8 months with Pepper and I met a couple today with a gorgeous black shepherd/bear. He was enormous and totally dwarfed pepper! When I got home I measured her to check her proportions and she’s 25 inches at the withers, which from charts I have looked at she should be between 18 and 20? Should I get her checked at the vets? She’s very healthy and active, perhaps looks a bit skinny and gangly though! Any suggestions or will she just be a big girl when she stops? She’s bending forward a little in the picture but she won’t stay still 😂
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
What source are you pulling those numbers? Standard GSD height is 22-24 females, 24-25 males.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If she's healthy, don't worry about it. She may just be a tall dog.

Was she spayed early? Before 1 year?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes the standard is 22-24" for females, 24-26" for males. But a lot of them are a lot taller OR shorter than the standard. I know one 18 months old who has super tall legs, and yes he was neutered way before he was 1 year. Research says that neutering early can result in abnormal bone growth, resulting in tall lanky legs. I don't know if it's the same for females. But if she's healthy and all I don't see why it's a problem that she's taller than the standards.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pretty girl! I think she won’t grow a lot more than that. When my girl hit about a year she didn’t get much bigger and yours is already at 8 months. I doubt she’ll grow much more. She will “fill in” though.. my girl was skinny like that until about 1 1/2 -2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts