German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a while back I asked for input and guesses as to what you thought my rescue Heidi's breed(s)
might be.

Many of you guessed pet GSD, some Husky/GSD and a few other wild guesses. Her Embark results
came back.....ta da....100% German Shepherd. I'm surprised as I thought there might be Husky in there also.

Now that she's a year older, her behavior is getting more and more like a well balanced GSD although in the beginning I thought there was some hard headed breed in there. Plus the good news is my son has turned her dog reaction around and now she's an "Invited Back to the Dog Park
Dog". She has about 20-25 playmates at the busy Dog Park. When I first got her she couldn't be trusted around other dogs. But she's really become more socialized in a year. But she is my
perfect "Farm Dog" and is on great terms w/ the horses, cats and guards the property at all times.
Here's Heidi...3 yrs. old

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=526757&stc=1&d=1571945318

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MAWL, what's interesting is how Embark gives close relatives of your dog and a little info about them, like where
the relative dog was born and where they are today. Well one of Heidi's close relatives was born in Hungary and is today
a Security Police Dog in the Phillipines. I thought that was interesting and that Police Dog has his own Instagram Account.
Oh and he looks a LOT like Heidi w/ a reverse mask and similar head and build..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks MAWL, what's interesting is how Embark gives close relatives of your dog and a little info about them, like where
the relative dog was born and where they are today. Well one of Heidi's close relatives was born in Hungary and is today
a Security Police Dog in the Phillipines. I thought that was interesting and that Police Dog has his own Instagram Account.
Oh and he looks a LOT like Heidi w/ a reverse mask and similar head and build..

Hmmm...I'm going to have to check Embark out. How do they figure out who your dogs are related to if you don't know the sire/dam? Interesting, she's sweet looking and I'm glad there's another good farm dog out there! I have 2, one registered, one not.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good question- it's all science to me but I believe it's similar to how they track down serial killers by using their relatives
known DNA. Relatives all have some similar genetic markers that they test for. They explain it better on the test results. I also found another
close relative of my dog who was born about 20 miles from us and still lives in the general area. Also looks like a relative.

It's fun to find out info on your dog when they're a rescue and I had NO history on her. I was initially worried about doing the test in case I found out she might be partly an undesirable breed mixed in so I waited a year til I was fully commited
to loving the dog. lol. I was worried though.

You should do it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good question- it's all science to me but I believe it's similar to how they track down serial killers by using their relatives
known DNA. Relatives all have some similar genetic markers that they test for. They explain it better on the test results. I also found another
close relative of my dog who was born about 20 miles from us and still lives in the general area. Also looks like a relative.

It's fun to find out info on your dog when they're a rescue and I had NO history on her. I was initially worried about doing the test in case I found out she might be partly an undesirable breed mixed in so I waited a year til I was fully committed
to loving the dog. lol. I was worried though.

You should do it.

I figured it would be based on samples they have in the database, but if none of a puppy's parents/grandparents/etc. were ever DNA typed, there's no way to know for sure, unless maybe a sibling matches or a farther off relative. Be interesting to know...

When I registered my Arabian foal in 2000, the breed registry required DNA typing on all registrations- because of this we knew for sure my mare had been bred by her 1/2 brother and not by an unrelated Arab stallion who had first bred her.

Daisy my unregistered pup, I know her parents personally, and her maternal grand-dam but not sure further back than that. But the likelihood anyone would have had them DNA typed is pretty low. Maybe some day I'll try it.

I'd have loved to know where Ellie's relatives ended up, but if people all followed their breeder's requirements and spayed/neutered their pups like I did, there's no further generations anyway. She's been such a good dog, I'd have cloned her if money was no object. Sadly, even 199.00 USD turns into something like 260.00 Canadian. Too rich for my blood.

But If I were a breeder, I'd be testing my dogs...well worth it for the health tests alone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts