German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Today's current German lines bear little to no resemblance to GSDs of yesteryear.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
587 Posts
I’m one of this annoying people that know nothing of lines or pedigrees, so I wouldn’t know German lines from American lines, and if someone put the two dogs side by side, I would still be clueless.

Can you post the pics of Adolph’s GSD?
American lines tend to be longer legged and longer in the muzzle. Their face is a little longer for lack of better words. Of course it's not the complete rule of thumb, but usually an indicator. A breeder once told me American GSD's have this look because of indirect in-breeding and not knowing the lineage well enough to mate two dogs that are completely unrelated.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
American lines tend to be longer legged and longer in the muzzle. Their face is a little longer for lack of better words. Of course it's not the complete rule of thumb, but usually an indicator. A breeder once told me American GSD's have this look because of indirect in-breeding and not knowing the lineage well enough to mate two dogs that are completely unrelated.
Thanks everyone for your input.

I decided to get Heidi DNA tested through Embark Vet so we'll see what they think is her breeding.

How accurate is this place? Anyone with direct results that did or did not confirm the breeding?

I've only heard good things about Embark. And I'm so tired of strangers asking about her breeding

so now maybe I can have an accurate reply.

I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I’m one of this annoying people that know nothing of lines or pedigrees, so I wouldn’t know German lines from American lines, and if someone put the two dogs side by side, I would still be clueless.

Can you post the pics of Adolph’s GSD?
Nowadays german showlines are the very dark red/black dogs. Seem to have thick big heads and the curved back.

American showlines are usually a lighter tan, not as thick as the WGSLs.

The differences are very obvious if you look at them. However once you get to working lines I'm completely out of the ballgame other than you can tell the difference between the three groups pretty easy.

BYB dogs are usually from American showline stock although I've noticed more of a trend towards mixing WGSL in and to be blunt some of the dogs I'm seeing around have ugly deformed looking back ends. They seem to have trouble walking or just don't walk quite right.

Shelby is one of the byb/WGSL dogs but thankfully has good structure.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow your Heidi looks like my foster. Diff colors but same shape of face, ears and legs.
YES, very similar- that's a beautiful dog there. male or female? Can't show your pic to my adult son,
he just lost his old male husky/GSD mix and would be too tempted.

I'm hoping the dna test gives me some hints of her breeding. Could be multiple breeds in there.

I've found pics online of a couple husky/gsd mixes that look similar and the temperament would fit.
But her leg bones and feet are smaller than that mix unless a parent were small. Also her narrow
muzzle makes me think some collie in there. Tell me more about your foster, just curious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would think the same if I didn’t know where he came from. These are pictures of his littermates. He was the only white one out of the litter. The two people I stay in touch with that sadly purchased from this BYB look like plush cactus coated GSD’s as adults. Different temperaments and drives as well. Genetics are a funny funny thing!
Ohmygod he is so adorable. I rescued a similar dog a while back and this just reminded me of that. what an adorable bean.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts