German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After so many people requested photos, here's a recent pic showing her front view.

What do you think she is? I have my guesses based on temperment and obedience or lack thereof.

Traits- very people oriented- great with everyone- a tad protective on farm w/ trespassers and/or

errant wildlife. More independent thinking, not as quick to accept correction, always thinking

but not as compliant as my former full gsd. Loves to herd the horses. Not too quick to learn tricks.

Very dog reactive with some dogs. With soft, strange dogs can be slowly introduced. Hard headed.

Plan to do Embark DNA some day but in the meantime what's your guess?

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=525283&stc=1&d=1568476903

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
After so many people requested photos, here's a recent pic showing her front view.

What do you think she is? I have my guesses based on temperment and obedience or lack thereof.

Traits- very people oriented- great with everyone- a tad protective on farm w/ trespassers and/or

errant wildlife. More independent thinking, not as quick to accept correction, always thinking

but not as compliant as my former full gsd. Loves to herd the horses. Not too quick to learn tricks.

Very dog reactive with some dogs. With soft, strange dogs can be slowly introduced. Hard headed.

Plan to do Embark DNA some day but in the meantime what's your guess?

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=525283&stc=1&d=1568476903
She could be full GSD like White mixed with Saddle back. I don't see much husky. They tend to have shorter, rounder muzzle. However, genetics are sometimes weird and could be Husky/GSD mix. Many people do this mix by mistake or in effort to create new breed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so far I agree with ALL of you- which is why I'm so unsure. She's so different from my last full gsd temperament wise

which is why I thought a mix. I appreciate all the guesses. Would a full side body photo help? I can get one.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yes, that would definitely help. Being able to see her topline and legs plus how long her back is would help a lot!

I used to have a dog come into my kennel to board that you would swear was full GSD, though pet quality (black and silver.) If you were to know there was something else in the mix, you would guess husky as the most likely breed.

IT wasn't. The dog was a 50/50 mix, and I'll be darned if I can remember what the other 50% was, but it was something you never would have guessed in a million years!

So, DNA testing is the only way to be sure!

Another dog - belonged to a neighbour of my parents - looked full GSD until you noticed the white sock on one foot. He, too, was a 50/50 mix with some other breed.

·
Super Moderator
6,475 Posts
@Jchrest I’d have guessed the 75% of your dog to be the husky. Cattle dog crossed my mind reading the OP description but they’re a bit more biddable than her dog sounds. If anything, I’m thinking a great grandpart introduced another breed - adding a mere 12.5%. Dog appears mostly gsd.

Would love a full body side view.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
@Jchrest I’d have guessed the 75% of your dog to be the husky. Cattle dog crossed my mind reading the OP description but they’re a bit more biddable than her dog sounds. If anything, I’m thinking a great grandpart introduced another breed - adding a mere 12.5%. Dog appears mostly gsd.

Would love a full body side view.
I would think the same if I didn’t know where he came from. These are pictures of his littermates. He was the only white one out of the litter. The two people I stay in touch with that sadly purchased from this BYB look like plush coated GSD’s as adults. Different temperaments and drives as well. Genetics are a funny funny thing!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would think the same if I didn’t know where he came from. These are pictures of his littermates. He was the only white one out of the litter. The two people I stay in touch with that sadly purchased from this BYB look like plush coated GSD’s as adults. Different temperaments and drives as well. Genetics are a funny funny thing!
They look in a good state. Are they twins? And what''s there breed?

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
They look in a good state. Are they twins? And what''s there breed?
This is regarding my two year old male, I got him at 9 months as an owner surrender. The littermates in the pic are also now two. As for their states, they all have health problems related to inbreeding. The “dam” is an AKC registered GSD. The “sire” was her son from a previous litter, the sire was a GSD/Husky mix intentionally bred to produce “Shepski’s.”

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Funny that some don't see any German in Heidi however I have pictures of Adolph Hitler's gsd female and it looks like
Heidi's twin sister. Same face, same head, same reverse mask.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I’m one of this annoying people that know nothing of lines or pedigrees, so I wouldn’t know German lines from American lines, and if someone put the two dogs side by side, I would still be clueless.

Can you post the pics of Adolph’s GSD?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts