German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take Shane to the emergency vet today. He somehow hurt his right front leg

My sister called me today around 1:30-2:00 while I was at work. She said Shane wouldnt put any weight on his right front leg, and he looked like he was in a lot of pain. I immediatly started worring the worst, I almost started crying when I could here here trying to get Shane to let her have a look at his leg
She put him in his crate for me so he wouldnt jump around and make it any worse. During the day while Im at work, Shane isnt crated, he has an indoor/outdoor setup with a doggie door off the basement. She said she didnt see any blood, but that he didnt look good at all.

So I left work and picked up Shane and brought him to the vet right away. He was very excited to be at the vet and it was hard to keep him from hurting his leg even more, he kept wanting to jump up on people and give his signature Shane greeting

So the vet said that there were no breaks or serious fractures, that he may have soft tissue damage, a hairline fracture, or even Pano. The pain seemed to be localized around the elbow. But she said its most likely soft tissue damage. I think he may of slipped on some ice in the outide kennel and fallen hard on it.

So we were sent home with 2 different medications and he has to be walked on a leash at all times, no running, jumping, playing, exercising for at least 2 weeks.

Please send some positive heeling thoughts for Shane! He's in a lot of discomfort and will not like the idea of being restricted for 2 weeks
I hope he feels better soon, Im so worried still!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Oh no, poor Shane! Sending out those healing thoughts!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! The poor guy cant even really go pee! He has a hard time trying to figure out how to not wet his entire front legs and balancing is a total lost cause! He's sleeping on the bed right now.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Oh no...poor Shane! Thoughts of healing being sent his way! Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Poor sweet adorable Shane!! I was worried that it would be this Shane. Oh my goodness Kelly, your baby boy! No wonder you're so worried. I will be sending LOTS of MONDO good thoughts and prayers for a strong recovery and back to his spotted zoomies of great health, and very soon! Prayers are on the way for Shane!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Oh kelly I hope he is ok!
Brady and i send hugs and kisses

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the positive thoughts and kisses! Poor little guy...once in a while he lays or moves the wrong way and he lets out these little cries....breaks my heart!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my sad little boy

He's reluctant to urinate because of the pain...I dont care if he pees all over his legs, I just want him to go. Will he eventually just go and not worry about getting his paws wet??

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
When my collie got hurt he didn't want to get up to go because of the pain so he held it. Then he went everywhere because he couldn't hold anymore. The problem was he developed a serious UTI because of it.

I would watch for that. Take him out often, even though you know it hurts him, to give him plenty of chances to go.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info, I've taken him out 3 times in the past couple hours. The first time he tried to pee a little bit, but he stopped because he was uncomfotable. The last 2 times he sniffed a bit, but he didnt want to go. He drank a good amount of water after coming back from the vet, so I know he probably has to go more...

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
To shane-
I know you just have to 'go get it-no matter what.Yeah you overextendended that leg/joint.You hurt and rested and just needed some time to rest.Your Mom like mine thought the worst-really good that she does.give it a couple days and you will feel better,try to give your skinmom lots of tail wags so she won't worry.Same thing muscle strain happened to me and my skinmom was sure it was bone cancer/sarcoma but we are both OK and playing .
Love to a over exerting dog
from
Jake

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Many healing thoughts are being sent your way.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Oh big boy Shane, I hope you feel better soon!

Stark says, "woof, bark, bark, woof" translation : "get better soon buddy!".

Keep us posted on his recovery Kelly!

Good thought coming your way for your boy and you!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Oh Shane, what have you done, sweetheart? I hope he feels better soon.

LOL Otto says whatever, wiz right on your legs. Make a puddle, drink it, it's really funny when mom go ewwww, nasty boy!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone, Shane appreciates all the well wishes from the 2-leggers and 4-leggers!

He's on Tramadol and Rimadyl.

I just took him out 15 minutes ago, he peed!!!!

He seems a little more comfortable, so I think the pain killers are starting to help a bit. He's tired and taking it easy tonight, lets see if that lasts into tomorrow!!

My back is killing me because I am carrying him up and down the stairs, soon I'll be needing the pain meds.

Sydney seems to not care! But thats just typical Sydney, she's quite self-absorbed LOL

...oh and one of the side effects of his medications is sedation...hmmmm....maybe I can get refill for this nutty boy for when hes BETTER lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts