German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Leerburg has multiple videos on teaching heeling.

I believe AKC heeling is a bit different some of the bitesport heeling. So if you want to compete make sure you are training the correct "heeling picture".

Fenzi Dog Sports offers multiple self study courses on teaching heeling. They also run various courses for Rally during their semester courses.

Thank you, I keep forgetting about Fenzi classes. I was looking at them a few months ago, for something else, and then it just left my brain lol

Reactions: Bramble

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
How are you doing it? Standing right in front of him with food at his nose? I think that is the easiest. Move food left or right in tiny increments until a hind leg shifts. If he is resistant then reward lots of tiny shifts rapid fire to get him going.
Yeah, I either stand in front of him, or sit in a chair, and then I use the food to lure him around. He swings from left to right pretty easily, but needs a bit more luring to go from right to left lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Lots of AKC ppl are training heads up heeling which is very similar to what I see bitesport dogs doing.

In AKC the dog can't be touching. Not sure if dog can be touching handler in bitesport heeling. AKC doesn't technically care about engagement. I.e. the dog does not have to be looking up at you. Heel position is scored down for bumping (crowding), lagging, forging, and handler adapting to dogs pace. OP, read the regs for how AKC defines heel position specifically as far as dog's position with handler.

AKC you have to keep your left hand up out of the way of the dog, most people put it on your stomach. Best not to do that too soon though or the dog will often begin to focus on the front of your body and it will start to crab.
I've heard not to reward with the right hand, because it will cause creeping, but I didn't know the left hand position would affect that too.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Thats the part I keep getting caught up on, teaching him it's the position. I used to try and use walks to train heel. Have him heel a bit, let him sniff, have him heel, let him sniff, ect, but he just wasnt having it. He will walk to the end of the lead, and while not pulling, he will not let there be any slack in the lead.
I'd seen this video before and remembered it shows a pretty good explanation for teaching heel, front, and cleaner sits and downs all at once. I hope you find it helpful!

Reactions: Datura

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
IPO/IGP - still "heads up" but not the exaggerated heads up that it used to be. Still loose points for dog interfering or lagging so some similarity to AKC stuff. Sport keeps changing the rules to, I guess, keep the handlers on their toes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just to see where you’re at, what you’re working on, and how. If you want to spend money on it, Ivan says it takes two weeks to finish a dog in heeling.
Sorry its taken me so long to reply, my son came home from school sick, and then if course I got it lol I will work on getting a good video of where we are at.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'd seen this video before and remembered it shows a pretty good explanation for teaching heel, front, and cleaner sits and downs all at once. I hope you find it helpful!

Thank you, I saved it to my watch later, so I can watch it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
IPO/IGP - still "heads up" but not the exaggerated heads up that it used to be. Still loose points for dog interfering or lagging so some similarity to AKC stuff. Sport keeps changing the rules to, I guess, keep the handlers on their toes.
I don't really care if he gives me the focused heel, just that he heels lol

21 - 30 of 30 Posts