German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working with my 7mo on heel on and off for several months, amidst also trying to reduce her pulling when not in heel.

She heels beautifully when SHE wants to, usually on the way back to our house. Due to lunging at cars recently, we're only walking/training in our yard. She is usually so focused on the neighborhood that it's hard to get her attention on me to heel. Some days are better than other. If I do get her in a heel, it doesn't last long.

Here are my questions:

1) When I haven't asked for a heel, but she falls into it on her own, should I say "good heel" or anything of that nature that associates the position with heeling?

2) When I've asked her to heel, am I right to pull up on the leash to deny her access to sniffing the ground?

3) When we start off in heel and she moves beyond the heel position, do I say anything or simply get her to sit and give the heel command again a if starting new?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
What is your goal here? Are you looking to train a competition heel, or just get her to walk nicely next to you without pulling on leash? Unless you need a competition heel you can decide whatever criteria you want, just be sure to stay consistent. What you're trying to accomplish will make a difference in the kind of advice you get too, so it's best to be specific about your goals. Many people train both a formal "heel" command, and an informal walking command with different criteria.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your goal here? Are you looking to train a competition heel, or just get her to walk nicely next to you without pulling on leash? Unless you need a competition heel you can decide whatever criteria you want, just be sure to stay consistent. What you're trying to accomplish will make a difference in the kind of advice you get too, so it's best to be specific about your goals. Many people train both a formal "heel" command, and an informal walking command with different criteria.
I want a nice 'walking heel'. Not competing. Just want to know the best way to get the heel and keep her focused on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts