German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm training my pup heel with a clicker and a collar. It's really hard to go down with the treats constantly also - anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,222 Posts
I used to take my leash and attach it around my waist (or to a belt loop). That way the leash is OUT of your hands, and you are not nagging the dog with it.

I had my clicker on one of those coiled stretchy things around my wrist. The treats were in a bag around my waist (you can use your pockets too).

It's hard to juggle everything at once, I know. But getting that leash out of your hands helps alot.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I kept the clicker in the hand that had the leash and I wear a hoody so a baggy of treats can go in my pocket. I always have a few bits of the treat in my hand though so its faster. Took a lot of fumbling but once he was tall enough it got easier :).

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Is it a physical issue? If so maybe you could use those things that are like a bottle of self dispensing peanut butter and tie it to a stick. The dogs lick it to get a treat.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Are you using your left hand for treating?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
If your dog is heeling on your left side, when you treat with your right hand your reaching over, try using your left hand for leash & treat, clicker with right hand.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
This is the first one I saw when I googled it, ://www.petsafe.net/products/pet-treats/canine-lickety-stik/lickety-stik-savory-chicken

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
I was told to always treat from the left hand when teaching heel. If you use your right hand, the dog will focus on that hand and you will be encouraging him to wrap in front of your body instead of staying in position.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I keep a treat bag attached to the waistband on my jeans on my right side, hold the leash in my left hand, and the extra leash and click in my right hand. When I click and treat, I try to quickly move the extra leash from my right hand to my left hand, click, and take the the treat with my right hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts