German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is the middle of winter in Australia right now, and we don't have central heating. Our pup (14-month very short hair GSD x Malinois) sleeps in a crate indoors, and the lowest may be 50F (10C). For us, this is very cold, and we have quilt and electric blanket. Pup has blankets, but she sleeps on top and not under it. Is this too cold? shall we arrange heater? How do we tell if she is cold?

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Not too cold, she should be fine. Our memorial weekend camping trip still had snow with over night lows in the thirties. Both my dogs were damp, but slept on top of our sleeping bags in the tent. My girl Zoe had completely blown her coat to boot.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
We backpack all year. Our coldest overnight was 27 degrees. This is cold for my boy but we don’t mess around. He has the same sleep system as us. Sleeping pad & sleeping bag. We are all warm.

But at 50 degrees he would sleep on top of his pad & bag and be comfortable. He would get hot with the sleeping bag over him at those temps.

When he’s been cold, he shakes or has shivers, sometimes it’s slight.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The first winter we were in Saskatchewan my dogs were crated in an unheated, partially insulated porch part of the time (because the house was basically gutted). In temps of -37 C they were fine with a moving blanket under their crates and another tossed over top of the two. We also used a similar system in the patrol truck in the winter.

As long as she has blankets to snuggle in she should be more then fine.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Rocky and a previous shepherd had/have thick coats. It was nothing to find them laying on their belly in the snow, it was pretty common. Of course, my dogs are all house dogs, they can come inside any time they want, but if the weather gets into the single digits, I call them in myself every thirty minutes or so that they can warm up.

I have to monitor them more closely when it's really hot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts