German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit I still feel a little irritated. Perhaps some of the forum members could suggest a more clear way to explain this to someone.
Yesterday during Jamie's nap time (for those who don't know she is 14 wks and my 3'rd - one at a time- Gsd ) I went over to a neighbors for coffee.
Well he suggested a dog park around the area to me. I tried to explain that I don't do dog parks as they are an accident waiting to happen and can lead to more behavioral problems than they cause.
I also explained that Jamie gets plenty of "socialization" that is exposure - on outings and walks where she sees people and other dogs and other stuff in the world. I tried to explain that as a GSD she does not need to physically interact with everyone she meets nor play with other strange dogs. That in fact the ideal is a dog who is focused on their handler and neutral to the rest of the world. I tried to explain that genetically GSD's are not the kind of dog that enjoys playing with dogs at a dog park and even less so after puberty.
Anyways he got a little hot under the collar and said something to the effect of - he's tired of hearing what a GSD is supposed to be genetically- it's nonsense and that he thinks Jamie is too "isolated" because she doesn't play with other dogs.
In fairness... I don't have any friends with stable mature dogs so I would rather she not play with dogs at all rather than put her in questionable situations. She sees plenty of them on walks.
She gets tons of play - outings and exercise (mental and physical with me).
Anyways, how do you explain to someone that a GSD's genetic make up is not that of a lab or golden retriever who are happy to play with other dogs all their lives ? Not only that but their "style of play" is considerably more aggressive due to herding instinct which does not always translate well to non GSD's.
my other previous 2 could have cared less about playing with other dogs. My male disliked other dogs and my female was as indifferent to them as she was to strange people.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I wish people would stop humanizing dogs. It’s not just GSDs. The idea that dogs are like children or people has somehow taken hold and now people that treat their dogs like, well, dogs, are somehow awful, negligent owners and it is completely aggravating. Your dog should spend time with you. I think a lot of dog owners forget this little fact. I think I’d just tell him that Jamie is your dog and you are treating your dog according to what you think is best for her. You don’t need to explain more than that IMO.

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
I'm just amazed at the number of people who entertain others telling them what they MUST do with their dogs. The answer is really easy. You don't explain GSD to someone who obviously only wants to dominate the conversation and tell YOU what to do with YOUR dog. You simply say these are my choices for my and not up for debate. You have no obligation to placate this person.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just amazed at the number of people who entertain others telling them what they MUST do with their dogs. The answer is really easy. You don't explain GSD to someone who obviously only wants to dominate the conversation and tell YOU what to do with YOUR dog. You simply say these are my choices for my and not up for debate. You have no obligation to placate this person.
Ya, I'll be honest - I'm p'd off and it's my ego that wants to find a way to "set him straight" about GSD's.
The irony is that he has never owned a dog and is in fact a little scared of larger "aggressive" breeds like GSD's. lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joking aside what I was trying to explain to this guy was that GSD's aren't hardwired to play and bond with other dogs and don't need a dog "pack" - unless that dog happens to be a family member.
I just couldn't figure out how to explain it in a more educational way.

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
Joking aside what I was trying to explain to this guy was that GSD's aren't hardwired to play and bond with other dogs and don't need a dog "pack" - unless that dog happens to be a family member.
I just couldn't figure out how to explain it in a more educational way.
You are asking how to explain something to someone that has no desire to learn and zero experience to back his opinion. His response to you was "he got a little hot under the collar and said something to the effect of - he's tired of hearing what a GSD is supposed to be genetically- it's nonsense and that he thinks Jamie is too "isolated" because she doesn't play with other dogs. "

Take a lesson from an American....you can not change someone's belief system.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. He can be rather judgemental. Someone whom I visit infrequently and in short doses. That usually works best. It seems it's time to take a step back again.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You Canadians are too nice. He was insulting you. It's the same as if said you are too stupid to take care of your own dog. Next time ask him (politely of course) if that's what he meant. Meanwhile, know that we wish everyone everywhere was as nice as Canadians.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Baffle him with "science". Tell him GSDs have socially, technologically and emotionally evolved faster than other breeds, as to not need all that dog park socialization stuff. e.g. my dog's favourite version of a 'pack walk' is a drive in the car. ;)

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I would not talk to him again about dogs. Someone that narrow minded and stubborn and rude doesn’t deserve an explanation. He won’t take it anyway. I would just say thank you for your interest. I will think about it. It’s all true, you are thinking about it way too much. Neighbors aren’t always friends, they are people we must be pleasant to.

·
Registered
16,026 Posts
"Oh?
That's interesting. Thanks for the thoughts."

Just a bland "hearing" without an argument. There's no explaining to him.

Reminds me of one neighbor in WY. Big boy was lying by the fence and I was talking to a man. His buddy/neighbor came up and started going on about what a scary (he was serious) dog I had while the dog just lied there. The first man just shook his head and rolled his eyes when the other guy walked off.

There is NO point arguing/explaining to these people. They have their opinion and facts do not matter. (Gee - that seems to apply in a few other instances these days, eh?)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Shepherds can be social, they play great, form lifelong friendships with other dogs and ppl outside of the family. I don’t think they are genetically wired to be antisocial, depends on an individual dog. That said, they are definitely not dogs for daycares and dog parks, for many reasons, and the main reason is random unknown people, not dogs. Why argue with the guy, your dog your decisions.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts