German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering about Duke a lot lately, sure seems like lately this week that he's been tired a lot. The weather has been gorgeous but it doesn't seem like he's got much energy and tires easily, he has lots of water and gets his exercise in and I've been playing off leash in the front yard with him but again he seems to get over heated. We had a GSD before but the weather never seemed to bother him. I looked for a pool at Walmart yesterday but couldn't find any ( thought that was odd ). Duke is a sable and almost 10 months old. Do you think its just to warm for him ? Its been in the 80-90 range for about 4 days. We have A/C so he's indoors a lot but sleeps a lot in here too ( unless the cat comes in ) don't get me wrong, he will play.

One other thing last night after coming inside for the night we threw up on the carpet, 2 piles, he had been eating some grass too.

Any thoughts ?

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
its been 100 or very close the last couple of days here and it will only get worse in the coming months. i try to rearrange my schedule in the summer so that the dogs are getting the majority of their exercise in the early early morning and evenings. i also <u>do not</u> put the a/c on for as long as i can stand it because that only makes the temperature change that much greater when the dogs leave from a cool house to the scorching outdoors.

the vomiting here and there in hot weather has always been normal for my dogs. ive always assumed its because they're drinking too much water and then regurgitate a bit of it after. they arent eating grass tho. (note: i dont have grass, lol)

also, alot of stores are out of pools by now (try target, toys r us, big lots, home depot). best time is mar/april when they first go out, and then check when new shipments are due and get there that day. kids, dogs, turtles - there is alot of competition

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Camper was miserable this weekend. We were in central Oregon and it was 95 degrees out, and humid. He's usually a madman with tons of energy, but a 15 minute walk several times a day just did him in.

We're back home now. This morning, I caught him eating grass, and sure enough, he barfed grass and yellow bile. He's never done that before. It was early this morning, so it wasn't too hot. So I don't know what's up with the grass-eating thing. I'm far enough away from you that I can't imagine they're both sick with something similar.

I'm just going to make sure that his stomach has something in it all day (light meals) and I'll keep him away from grass.

It's cooled off. I'm not too worried. I think it was just a hot miserable weekend. Our PNW kids aren't used to weather *quite* this hot, at least, not yet. Usually, they have a chance to adjust as temps climb slowly. Not 50 one day and 95 the next!

(Now, Zamboni, my dog who was raised in inland Southern & Northern California? She was lying in the sun, rolling on the grass, basking all weekend.
But when it's 35 degrees out and Camper's playing in his pool outside, she's snuggled up in the house, wrapped in a blanket!
It's a matter of what you're used to!)

And we, like most Western Washingtonians, don't have A/C, so when to turn it on isn't an issue for us. But she makes a good point!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, this is good to know. We don't have our AC on that high but its still cooler in the house than out obviously, I guess they just all act differently. I will be checking for more pools and quick, not sure he will even use it but he might and its worth the $$ to me to find out, we have an inground pool but haven't opened it yet but that would be nice to have in the summer along side our pool but Duke might just into the real deal LOL. It sounds normal so I do feel better, thank you for all of your replies
I will keep him as comfortable as I can.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: Gyggles1 not sure he will even use it but he might and its worth the $$ to me to find out, we have an inground pool but haven't opened it yet but that would be nice to have in the summer along side our pool but Duke might just into the real deal LOL.
Fill the pool about 1/2 full; stand in the pool yourself, then splash the water on your dog with the pool water. I've rarely seen a dog that wasn't so facinated that they didn't just jump in after a while.

And since you have a "real" pool, could you please pm me directions, and we'll be dropping by on a regular basis?
We're willing to drive several hours....Camper looooooves swimming!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I will try that with the pool. I don't think he will have any troubles, I shower him in the shower with me and anytime I go near the shower he's inside of it just waiting so he likes the water!

Yea I will have to let youk now when the pool is ready to go

We are just hoping he doesn't rip the liner even though its in ground it still has a liner on top of the concrete flooring. But that's all a learning experience. Our last GSD actually fell into our pool twice, after that he never wanted in it all the way but wasn't scared of water just didn't want to swim LOL.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ruby is pretty rambunctious and she was a lazy and tired all weekend too. It was in the 90's. We walk her in the morning and after sun set. We also wait to turn on the AC. We usually don't turn it on until close to 8:00pm so the house has a chance to cool off before we go to bed and can sleep. During the day we use a box fan, or two, positioned by windows to circulate air, keeps a very nice breeze going and helps make things bearable.

Ruby lounges on the rug. Little blue plastic pools can be found at Wal Mart and Petsmart. Just the right size for a big dog and under $10.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
It gets hot here in the summer. I rearrange the Hooligans schedule a little from what we do in the winter. In the summer we get up earlier, go outdoors and they go potty and eat breakfast - I leave them out but I make sure everyone is inside by 10 AM. They go out at 5 for a quick 10 or 15 minute potty break. And usually around 7 or 8 we go out for dinner and come in when everyone's finished eating which is about 30 minutes or so. We go out around midnight or 1 for 30 minutes to an hour before going to bed. In the summer I keep the a/c set about 75 to 78 24/7.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts