German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sky is 6 months old as of Saturday and today is acting strange. She goes out to pee and I noticed it was a little red coming out. She then squats down rather frequently and nothing comes out (maybe drips). I see some light red droplets on her leg and a light tint of red near her groin. Besides that she's acting normally, not itching or scratching. There is also a rash developing on the belly/groin area but it doesn't appear to bother her. She has had two accidents indoors which is strange too.

Is she too young to be in heat? Could it be UTI or some other infection? The weather is much hotter and she is drinking a little more. Still eating, enjoying her bully stick and treats, and wants to play with me. I made a vet appointment tomorrow but just trying to figure out possible scenarios.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Vet appointment is the right thing to do. My vote is for a UTI moreso than being in heat. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After the vet today, definitely UTI. Bummer. She's going on full spectrum antibiotics until the lab results come back from her urine analysis. Poor girl is having accidents inside every 15 minutes. Any advice from owners with experience? Do I keep her crated up and take her out every 15-20 minutes? The initial shot of antibiotics seems to be working. Urine is less red already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My pit gets these about three/four times a year... unfortunately we can't narrow down the root cause of the frequent infections. When she gets UTIs we have to put her on antibiotics for about 2 weeks. That being said, using vinegar to wipe the area tends to keep the UTI at bay and help them clear up faster. Typically when we forget to wipe her down the UTI tends to return.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
A friend of mine has littermates, boys, that are a little over a year. The one kept getting UTIs and the vet suggested neutering him. They did. I haven't heard if he has had another since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My pit gets these about three/four times a year... unfortunately we can't narrow down the root cause of the frequent infections. When she gets UTIs we have to put her on antibiotics for about 2 weeks. That being said, using vinegar to wipe the area tends to keep the UTI at bay and help them clear up faster. Typically when we forget to wipe her down the UTI tends to return.
When you say wipe down, are you saying wipe down the groin area after each time they go out to pee or poop? Just curious if that would be helpful in this situation and going forward.

Currently I'm cleaning all the urine with paper towel and then using Lysol wipes to disinfect the areas. It's a lot of work which is why I'm thinking of keeping her in the crate with clean towels which I can launder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah. As unpleasant as it is, we wipe the vaginal area with vinegar every morning, evening, and every time she urinates. Our vet also prescribed a medicated wipe, but the vinegar seems to work just as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts