German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luna is having her heat cycle and has the attention span of a gnat. Her listening capabilities are that of a 7 week old puppy. This us her first heat cycle so I guess I am to expect some craziness, but it is like she was never trained. She does want to snuggle tho but I do not let her on the bed or couch during the cycle.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Yeah Luna has to be crated at night when she is heat because those little pants they wear during their heat cycle can be easily taken during the night off -no bed. The only change i see in Luna is her intensity to be Bitchy heightens towards max then she will be flirty.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far no aggression or bitchiness. Her biggest thing is she is scatter brain, I tried to play ball and she normally will get super excited but now she will chase it but get distracted by something easily. I have decided not to push any new training on her, just reinforce the basics, sit, a down and come.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luna has just that, needs to be touched or near you at all times, and she is very much scatter brains. I am not holding it against her.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Cava's sister just went into heat a couple of days ago, so I'm sure she will not be far behind.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has been 8 days. I had my parents watching her and angel because me and my wife took her sisters family to Disney world. Two days in I get a call she's in heat. They dealt with her for 5 days.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I would imagine she was more stressed because you were away. Luna’s always affectionate so that would be hard for me to say especially around supper time she lays on my feet when I cook a real tripping hazard. Every heat cycle I see something a little more and more. This is Luna’s fourth heat cycle and the first time I have seen her flirty and was at the very end of her cycle. I had to tell her how beautiful she was because her efforts were thwarted by max lol!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Jenny and Hoytn, Do you both have dogs named Luna? Lol, I'm having to read comments twice and trying to figure out what Luna.

I think we got lucky with ours first heat. It did last a while, like 6 weeks. That's good yours doesn't get attitude bitchy. Ever since Meis heat shes been a lot more vocal when playing. She had a little bit of an attitude.

Does yours keep the washable panties on? If she does and likes to cuddle, I would let her on bed or couch wearing them. What's nice though is she kept herself clean pretty much the whole time. When she wasn't wearing them and there was a spot on the floor, I would just point to it and she cleaned it up.

Like you said, I wouldn't add anymore training. Good thing they're so smart, you can pick up the training when heats done and not miss a beat.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I think we both have our dogs named Luna. I do not have washable panties. We put a towel in her crate and it works, she isnt as clean as angel (golden retriever) was however she isnt as messy as I feared she is kinda in the middle. I do feel bad sometime when she does make an mess she looks embarrassed. Her neadiness has been kind hard for me to deal with, she used to split it 50/50 me and the wife which was perfect because I could do my thing sometimes. However now she seems to want to be around me far more, she still goes to my wife but not as much as be4. Several times she either sat in my feet so I couldn't move or jumped on me with her two front paws and tied to climb in my lap, I do not want to get it on me or the couch so I tell her no. One thing that is noticeable to everyone is she drinks like a camel and pees like a race horse no UTI, i think it is heat related because she didnt do that be4 LOL. But she is starting to mature structure wise.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Mei seemed to get embarrassed too. She's always been glued to my side but since her heat she's good at lying and staying by my wife on the couch if I leave the room. She used to bolt up and follow me when I'd leave. So, she's probably matured quite a bit I'd say. And becoming more independent.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your dog never h as d anything on its butt how do you train it not to bite it. Luna is getting messy.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
I just don't understand the question "How do you get your dog to leave the britches in place?" I put those on you when you come in to the house. They stay on you until you go out. I think it is what I expect. Other people have claimed they were sure their dog would not put up with them. With that expectation, I am sure they are right.

BTW I just made a new pair - in camouflage no less. If you sew, they are easy to make and you can get them to fit better. (I took the pattern from the purchased pair - thrift store item BTW - lengthened the straps that needed it and there you go.) I'm tempted to pull out some wolf print fabric so she will have yet another pair.

So basically, expect that she wears the britches. And besides that, she will come and stand to have them put on with the command "Panties!"

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
I just put Deja's panties on for the very first time ever, for several hours to get used to them or else she cannot go to class. No problem. Doesn't even pay attention to it. I was happy that they allow her in class anyways. Sometimes, you have to act as matter of fact, they sense that. If I had used treats, she would have been suspicious.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Auto correct got me again. Mei and middle answered my question. What I meant to say was in your dog never had anything on her butt, what came out from autocorrect was gibberish.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She new thing is to bark at the birds. We where in the yard and she saw some egerts a few houses down from me. She took off barking and raising all bits of ****, the birds flew a few feet and she continued to follow, she followed them til they passed over the cement wall she was about 6 or 7 houses away. I made one recall command and she ran back to me with the biggest smile like she did something good. We live on a col a sac so no traffic at all. Eversense that tho she listens to my recalls. Heat does werid things.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts