German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miikka will be 1-year old next week. She had her first heat about 3 months ago. Can she come in to heat again so quickly??!! She’s been doing a lot of licking, among other things.

This time she’s been acting really bitchy...and I mean bitchy...not as in female dog. She was NOT this way last time. She’s been beating up poor little Buddy - biting at his neck and trying to hump him. She did not do any of these things last time she came into heat. Well, she does sometimes bite at Bubby-Boys neck.

Also, she was recently diagnosed with kennel cough. Does that have anything to do with her heat cycle or is it just a coincidence? Meaning; does heat cause the immune system to weaken at all (so she could catch kennel cough)?

Also, last time Miikka started to come in to heat she had a lot of diarrhea. She has diarrhea now too. She gets a lot of diarrhea though, so it’s hard to know if the two are connected. However, I’d like to know if its possible diarrhea is related to heat cycles?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
from what i've learned they can go into heat sooner than the once every 6 months. its very possible she's in heat again but its also possible the kennel cough is making her cranky. Just like when we get sick, we get cranky. the same goes for cats and dogs. Is she on antibiotics for the kennel cough? That could also be causing the diarrhea. Is she showing any other signs that she's in heat? swollen vajayjay? any blood? someone else might have better knowledge.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
You said about three months ago. I have had girls cycle every four months for the first year or so.

Also you can experience a split heat.

Not sure about the humping or diahrreah. Never associated the two with my girls. Mine flag at a boy if they are available and at girls if they are not. They clean each other, and themselves. They do swell, so when they run around you start noticing that. And they bleed.

If she is not bleeding what kind of discharge is there. Always the possibility of some vaginitis I guess. I heard it happens in puppies, never dealt with it myself.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You said about three months ago. I have had girls cycle every four months for the first year or so.

Also you can experience a split heat.

Not sure about the humping or diahrreah. Never associated the two with my girls. Mine flag at a boy if they are available and at girls if they are not. They clean each other, and themselves. They do swell, so when they run around you start noticing that. And they bleed.

If she is not bleeding what kind of discharge is there. Always the possibility of some vaginitis I guess. I heard it happens in puppies, never dealt with it myself.
Thanks Sue. What do you mean by "split heat"? I've never heard that term before.
She is a little swollen but NOT bleeding (no other type of discharge, that I can see). I think if she is in heat, its just barely begun, or just getting started.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from what i've learned they can go into heat sooner than the once every 6 months. its very possible she's in heat again but its also possible the kennel cough is making her cranky. Just like when we get sick, we get cranky. the same goes for cats and dogs. Is she on antibiotics for the kennel cough? That could also be causing the diarrhea. Is she showing any other signs that she's in heat? swollen vajayjay? any blood? someone else might have better knowledge.
KZ - She was on antibiotics but the vet told me to stop them because of the diarrhea.

....but its also possible the kennel cough is making her cranky. Just like when we get sick, we get cranky. Really? I never get cranky when I get sick....:rolleyes: :whistle:

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
A split heat is where she comes into heat, and after a week or so it stops. A couple of weeks may go by and she comes into heat again. I do not know how many weeks can go by in a split heat.

If she is swolen, but no blood, you might want to take her in. I would at least check her temperature. If her temperature is elevated, if she starts acting droopy or depressed, it could be pyometra. Normally that strikes bitches older, and usually a month or so after a heat cycle.

Pyometra takes two forms, open and closed. In open it is not as deadly, the pus drains out. In closed, there is no discharge, the womb fills with pus and kills your girl.

Again, I do not think that a girl as young as yours is likely to get it.

I guess the thing is heat cycles can be a little irratic in the beginning. Take her temperature and watch her behavior. If she appears depressed, or if she is running a fever, above say 104 (normal temp 102) call the vet.

Hoping it is just a funky young heat cycle.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
KZ - She was on antibiotics but the vet told me to stop them because of the diarrhea.

....but its also possible the kennel cough is making her cranky. Just like when we get sick, we get cranky. Really? I never get cranky when I get sick....:rolleyes: :whistle:

lol. thats all i have.... lol

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A split heat is where she comes into heat, and after a week or so it stops. A couple of weeks may go by and she comes into heat again. I do not know how many weeks can go by in a split heat.

If she is swolen, but no blood, you might want to take her in. I would at least check her temperature. If her temperature is elevated, if she starts acting droopy or depressed, it could be pyometra. Normally that strikes bitches older, and usually a month or so after a heat cycle.

Pyometra takes two forms, open and closed. In open it is not as deadly, the pus drains out. In closed, there is no discharge, the womb fills with pus and kills your girl.

Again, I do not think that a girl as young as yours is likely to get it.

I guess the thing is heat cycles can be a little irratic in the beginning. Take her temperature and watch her behavior. If she appears depressed, or if she is running a fever, above say 104 (normal temp 102) call the vet.

Hoping it is just a funky young heat cycle.
Oh Boy, that does not sound good (Pyometra). I will certainly keep an eye on things!!! One thing for sure, she is not depressed (although, I guess I dont really know how a depressed dog would act). She is full of energy...wants to play, play, play....and of course, go after poor Buddy.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Oh Boy, that does not sound good (Pyometra). I will certainly keep an eye on things!!! One thing for sure, she is not depressed (although, I guess I dont really know how a depressed dog would act). She is full of energy...wants to play, play, play....and of course, go after poor Buddy.

doesnt sound depressed to me. depressed dogs tend to be mopey and want nothing to do with anything really.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I have never dealt with it either. When mine are sick, they do not eat, do not drink, have a fever, lie around. I do not think your dog has this, but if she was acting depressed/mopey or had a fever I would call.

I do not know if some get cranky instead of depressed, but as the fever rises, my guess is that if she was sick she would act depressed at some point.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have never dealt with it either. When mine are sick, they do not eat, do not drink, have a fever, lie around. I do not think your dog has this, but if she was acting depressed/mopey or had a fever I would call.

I do not know if some get cranky instead of depressed, but as the fever rises, my guess is that if she was sick she would act depressed at some point.

She's never really acted sick at all! Even with the kennel cough, she still really hasnt acted sick (just coughs).

HOWEVER, I just remembered (as I was getting ready to give her her nightly meds) that she is taking hydrocodone. A friend of mine told me once that she got really cranky on that drug. Maybe its the hydrocodone thats making her moody. She takes the hydrocodone for the cough. (a very low dose - 5mg)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
She's never really acted sick at all! Even with the kennel cough, she still really hasnt acted sick (just coughs).

HOWEVER, I just remembered (as I was getting ready to give her her nightly meds) that she is taking hydrocodone. A friend of mine told me once that she got really cranky on that drug. Maybe its the hydrocodone thats making her moody. She takes the hydrocodone for the cough.

when Riley had Kennel Cough he was on hydrocodone and was pretty cranky so its pretty possible thats why she's a grump. good luck in figuring it all out!!! and hope she's feeling better soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts