German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you give your dogs heartworm pills year round or just during mosquito season? Living in Chicago, the mosquitos are pretty much gone until next Spring and I have always been given conflicting information from different vets.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Year round in Ohio, I've seen the nasty things in Jan before.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Definately year round if Florida!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Definitely year round here in NC. Having adopted heartworm positive dogs and seen how horrific the disease is I would keep my dogs on prevention all year round no matter where I lived just to be certain.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We do heartworm year round. Not worth the chance to me. I figure for the few bucks we may save, its not worth the chance of possibly getting it and the cost/heartache that would cause. We don't do Frontline in the winter, though, but just from late Nov/Early Dec - March.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Year round here in TX. I adopted a HW+ dog and NEVER want to go through that again. Plus, it's not like the mosquitos ever really die here. I don't do flea meds in the winter, though.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I go year-round. With an adult dog, we should test before we put them on HW medicine. So, by the time I take my dog off the med, then do the blood test (because, what if he contracted it while he were off the medicine?), then put him back on; it was easier, and not that much more expensive, to leave him on year-round.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Year round in Ohio. I used to skip December January and February. BUT, I had both of my dogs contract heartworm that way. The vet informed me that Heartguard and Interceptor would pay for my heartworm treatment IF my dogs had been on their medication year round and I had not skipped those three months.

It is not worth skipping any months.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Year round. I live in Central NY and we have a surprisingly high HW rate here. Of course, not all vets are up on that, lol. I can tell you that about 80% of dogs I have pulled from my area are HW+.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
<span style="color: #3333FF">Year round here in WNY. My friend's german shepherd contracted heartworm in the winter,during the 6 months she was not on the preventatives. I also use Interceptor. </span>

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, so that was all enough to make me keep Mandi on heartworm year round. My next Q is this:

What kind of preventative do you use? Mandi was on Tri-Heart + but I have been wondering if Heartguard is any "better".

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We use Interceptor, haven't used anything else and really can't compare because of that, but we've never had any issues. Just what our vet recomends.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I don't give Hw "prevention" at all. Maybe that's the reason I never have any flea infestations and other problems dogs so commonly have
. A couple yrs ago I also adopted a GSD with Hw (see avatar).

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I don't think so. I mean, almost none of the dogs we get in our member shelters are on HW preventative, or vaccinated, or receiving any other kind of potentially toxic conventional medicine, and they pretty much all are infested with fleas.

We use Revolution - year round. No fleas, no HW.

If fleas are not an issue, I think Interceptor is one of the best hw preventatives.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Pup, you can't be serious to compare a shelter dog to my dogs who receive the most excellent nutrition and care.
Nutrition is the foundation for health, not pesticides.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
<span style="color: #3333FF">I've never in over 20 years have had a major flea infestation. When I have had a few fleas in my home,it was from the fosters bringing them in,my dog never really got them. I also didn't have a hard time getting rid of them *knock on wood* This summer was a bad one for fleas,no fosters,no fleas. </span>

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I live in the Chicago area and have Molly on Revolution year round.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts