German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you may know, we rescued a GSD from our local shelter a couple days before he was going to PTS. He's very skinny, beat up looking, and listless. It came as no real surprise that he's HW positive. However, I've never actually had a dog who was HW positive. The vet went over a bunch of stuff with me- he was started on Heartguard yesterday to start killing off the baby heartworms, he was put on doxycycline to help clear up whatever is causing diarhea, and he goes in next Thursday to get his bloodwork done and to schedule his first injection. I know he has to stay pretty much absolutely still following the injections so large clumps of heartworms don't fall off at a time, but does anyone have any other advice?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Nope, that's pretty much it. I went through it with my Cashdog. They should pretty much be crated 24/7 and taken out on a leash to potty. Nothing that would cause their heartrate to go up. Bless you for rescuing, and bless you double for rescuing a dog with heart worms! :hugs:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have no advice but I agree with Emoore, bless you for taking him in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks- he's so worth it! The prices made me shudder a bit, but we had prepared ourselves for it, so it wasn't overwhelming. The hardest part is going to be keeping him still for so long. We've been crating him since he's not 100% housebroken, so at least he's used to the crate. I can't wait to see what kind of dog he is once he's not so sick!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
We rescued a husky mix running wild in Ohio that was heartworm positive. He was not pottytrained/crate trained or anything else! I was also very concerned about keeping him still. But, the treatment really left him feeling very lethargic. I actually tied him to the kitchen table while we were home, so he could feel apart of everything. He had a big comfy bed! He really did great. The vet said he had the worst case of heartworm he had ever seen. The only scary thing that happened was once he was allowed to go on slow walks...he had some heart pain. He stopped walking, put his ears out and I really thought I was going to lose him. It lasted for about 3-5 minutes , then he was ready to go lay back down. Scary.

Overall, it went very well, and time passed so quickly. Good luck and your dog will thank you for saving his life!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
unfortunately...yes...I have experience...Cheyenne came to me stage 4.

Here is the reason for the doxy:

Recent research has led to the discovery of a parasite called
Wolbachia that lives symbiotically inside heartworms. Studies
indicate that this parasite contributes to the adverse effects of
both heartworm infection and heartworm treatment, including
inflammation, embolism and allergic reaction. Treatment with
doxycycline for 30 days to kill the Wolbachia parasite weakens the
heartworms and makes them unable to reproduce, and greatly reduces
the chance of adverse reaction during heartworm treatment.
Any dog that currently has heartworms should be treated with
doxycycline for 30 days. If the dog will be treated with Immiticide
(fast-kill method), it is best to treat with doxycycline prior to
beginning Immiticide treatment, as this should make the treatment
much safer, by greatly reducing the potential for embolism and
allergic reaction to the death of the worms.

Good luck and thank you for adopting him :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's on the Doxycycline Hyclate right now (started Tuesday). He also started Heartguard on Tuesday. He goes in next Thursday to get bloodwork done to make sure he's well enough to handle the h/w treatment. He'll be getting the 3 shots of Immiticide with a month between injections. Not sure how long after his bloodwork is done before he starts the Immiticide. I feel so bad for this guy!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
He's on the Doxycycline Hyclate right now (started Tuesday). He also started Heartguard on Tuesday. He goes in next Thursday to get bloodwork done to make sure he's well enough to handle the h/w treatment. He'll be getting the 3 shots of Immiticide with a month between injections. Not sure how long after his bloodwork is done before he starts the Immiticide. I feel so bad for this guy!
That's what we did. The Doxy followed by the 3 injection protocol. He must be a fairly high positive. Poor baby!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
unfortunately...yes...I have experience...Cheyenne came to me stage 4.

Here is the reason for the doxy:

Recent research has led to the discovery of a parasite called
Wolbachia that lives symbiotically inside heartworms. Studies
indicate that this parasite contributes to the adverse effects of
both heartworm infection and heartworm treatment, including
inflammation, embolism and allergic reaction. Treatment with
doxycycline for 30 days to kill the Wolbachia parasite weakens the
heartworms and makes them unable to reproduce, and greatly reduces
the chance of adverse reaction during heartworm treatment.
Any dog that currently has heartworms should be treated with
doxycycline for 30 days. If the dog will be treated with Immiticide
(fast-kill method), it is best to treat with doxycycline prior to
beginning Immiticide treatment, as this should make the treatment
much safer, by greatly reducing the potential for embolism and
allergic reaction to the death of the worms.

Good luck and thank you for adopting him :)
What is it in the treatment that makes it so expensive? The actual cost of the drugs utilized, or all of the testing?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I would personally consider investing in an x-pen (aka exercise pen) - you can often find them for sale on craigslist.org for pretty cheap. Attach it to his crate so he has some room to move around and play with some toys so he's not living in the crate constantly. Or set the xpen up in the house somewhere potty proof (assuming he's not housetrained) so he can come out of his crate and hang in the pen.

It will be hard to keep him calm with other dogs in the house if he's not crated or penned.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I'm worried about. We have a 2 year old GSD, who's a very good inside dog 99% of the time. I think he suffers from hallucinations though, because he'll jump up at the most random times and run to the door, barking like a nut. Yesterday he was barking at hay bales in the neighbors driveway. He's a strange dog. But anyways, Baron wants to follow Kaiser wherever he goes and I don't want him getting excited if Kaiser does. I'll look around for a pen, that's a great idea.

The vet said the medicine itself is expensive ($108 for just the shot, not including office visit or any pain meds). There's actually a shortage in this area, because so many of the families around here think h/w prevention is too expensive, so surprise, surprise, their dogs test positive for heartworms! The bloodwork is going to be around $80 because they're going to test everything they can, since we don't know any of his history. I go to the vet on our military base, and they're the cheapest in the area. I know some places charge over $1,000 for the same treatment.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I'm sorry...I'm not up on the costs/reasons. Cheyenne unfortunately was too far gone for "fast kill" method...so we had to do the slow kill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts