German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am new to feeding the BARF diet so I am struggling to get my ratios of RMBs, MMs and OMs correct. I have an honest question regarding how to categorize heart meat due to my own confusion on the subject...

I have seen many posts in the BARF Menus thread about meat types and portion sizes where some people consider heart meat a Muscle Meat (MM) and others label it an Organ Meat (OM). So which do you believe it is, muscle or organ meat? My first instinct is to label it as an organ, however I realize it's one of the most powerful muscles in the body, thus my confusion.

The reason I'm asking is because it seems Muscle Meat is fed in a much larger percentage nearly 45% of the daily ration as compared to Organ Meat which is around 5%. I know OMs are very rich and thus comprise a smaller percentage of the daily allowance, so in my opinion, miscategorizing the heart as a MM instead of an OM could be detrimental, right? I would think that if heart meat is really an OM then feeding 45% instead of only 5% would be way overdoing the ration.

Thanks for your time in reading and responding to my post. I'm anxious to know your opinions on the subject.

·
Registered
798 Posts
MM, the heart is a muscle.

My dogs loved beef heart so much when I was feeding raw! I guess I'll buy some to feed it with their kibble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts