German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gave my little girl heart guard for the first time last night and she doesn't want to eat this morning. I gave her the least amount possible. My poor baby.... It is a necessary evil. Hoping she will snap out of it soon.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
That is not a normal response. How much did you give her and what does she weigh.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I would talk with the veterinarian. That dose may not be high enough to work for her, but if she had a problem with it there may be something else going on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the correct dose for 25 to 50, but wanted to give her a smaller dose the first time to see if she had any reaction. She is doing better now she ate some boiled chicken and has been drinking water. By the look of her stools her tummy was upset by the Medicine😓 in hindsight I am glad I started with a smaller dose. I think I need to make sure she chews it a little better next time and I might break it up throughout the day.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I suspect it's an unrelated gastric complication. Giving less than the prescribed dose is likely to be ineffective for your pet. When in doubt, return to your vet for an evaluation and, if it makes you comfortable, discuss other options. Explore HW preventatives that use milbemycin oxime instead of Ivermectin.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The important thing is for the medicine to get to a steady state so that it can kill the microfilia. The 4 pound difference shouldn't affect that. After all next dose up has a 25 pound range. Like I said i have the higher dose for next month when she puts a little more weight on. I might look at alternatives if this happens again. You might be right about it being another gastric problem. However, it started after I gave it to her last night. She got whiny and just wanted lots of loving.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I don't think it was the heart guard either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts