German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told when you get a new puppy or dog, to NOT give it a bath for 3-5 days. The reason is bc the dog needs to get use to you and if you give it a bath before that happens then the dog will be scared of you forever. Any thoughts on the truth to this?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
No, you can bathe them right away if needed. Some breeders will bathe the puppy the day you pick them up so they're nice and fresh when they get home (how long it lasts is another story lol)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I don't believe that. When we brought our 1st GSD home he stunk so bad we had no choice but to bathe him immediately, he was one of the best dogs I ever had.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We bathed Kona the day we brought her home and it didn't seem to bother her too much. We filled both sinks up with water beforehand and cleaned her in one and rinsed in the other. That seemed to work well.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
My breeder bathed Beau the day I brought him home .. No issues

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My GSD came home spanking clean, smelling wonderful! I can still bathe him with out a problem.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Finn got his first bath not more than three days after we brought him home and he is probably one of the best and most loving dogs I've ever had.

Dogs have this unique and wonderful capacity to forgive and forget.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
The most interesting thing for you at this moment - should be the work of his guts. Some puppies might have wet stool after, probably, due to the way they handled during bathing, their bellies squeezed unintentively, because overexited, etc.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I was told when you get a new puppy or dog, to NOT give it a bath for 3-5 days. The reason is bc the dog needs to get use to you and if you give it a bath before that happens then the dog will be scared of you forever. Any thoughts on the truth to this?
It's Bull. I almost always give my dog a bath right away when I get them. It helps get the shelter stink off of them and allows the pack to smell them and not shelter. The only exception to this was Tasha because she was recovering from surgery... So she didn't get a bath right away but she got wiped down good with the doggie cleaning wipes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a feeling it was bull, but also it seemed logical. I just picked up my pup yesterday (finally) shes 4 months old. I can tell shes not 100% confident with me yet but loves being around me. I will prob give her a bath tonight bc she smells like a dirty diaper which makes me smell that way since she always wants to be in my lap. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Smear some peanut butter on the sides of the tub, do it quickly, be happy, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I had a feeling it was bull, but also it seemed logical. I just picked up my pup yesterday (finally) shes 4 months old. I can tell shes not 100% confident with me yet but loves being around me. I will prob give her a bath tonight bc she smells like a dirty diaper which makes me smell that way since she always wants to be in my lap. Thanks for the replies.
Congrats!! We need name and pictures for it be official :D Hopefully you don't have to shovel a path from the all the snow we got recently for her to potty! (If you got any, we got about a foot here :eek:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
USMCK-9, I'll tell you about one trick that I learned from an old dog man.
He said to put a piece of food in your mouth, then feed it directly from your mouth to the puppy's mouth without your hands or the ground touching it.
It is based on the idea that wolf mothers regurgitate swallowed food to their pups.
(of course you don't have to keep doing this all the time, just in the beginning to cement the bonding process)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats!! We need name and pictures for it be official :D Hopefully you don't have to shovel a path from the all the snow we got recently for her to potty! (If you got any, we got about a foot here :eek:)
Thank you! Yeah once I get her cleaned up I will post some pics up for everyone to see. I named her Hannah. She's been a great pup so far. Already protective with a mean bark.

We got a few inches but not bad. I had to drive through all that snow to pick her up and pick up her meat for her diet. She was right outside of Denver.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Hello from home!
When do you get to come back? Bathing is really easily done here. Just grab the hose and some shampoo and go for it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello from home!
When do you get to come back? Bathing is really easily done here. Just grab the hose and some shampoo and go for it.
I will get to come home next week for 2 days then the end of June I will have a week vacation. Where at in central fl are u? My home is in Lakeland.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I will get to come home next week for 2 days then the end of June I will have a week vacation. Where at in central fl are u? My home is in Lakeland.
Lakeland is less than one hour away me.
Hope you have good weather when you get here next week. It has been pretty rainy lately.

·
Registered
710 Posts
LOL! My stinky puppies get a bath when they smell like poo and pee. I don't care if it's every day, or every hour! :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
USMCK-9, I'll tell you about one trick that I learned from an old dog man.
He said to put a piece of food in your mouth, then feed it directly from your mouth to the puppy's mouth without your hands or the ground touching it.
It is based on the idea that wolf mothers regurgitate swallowed food to their pups.
(of course you don't have to keep doing this all the time, just in the beginning to cement the bonding process)
Hmmm sounds interesting. I remember seeing something like that on the movie Shooter with Mark Walberg. I would be worried she will get some of my nose with that treat lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts