German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So as you all know we started feeding raw a week ago, and it couldn't be going better! Their ears look a little better, there teeth have even shown a slight difference, and the poop is good! It's only been a week but I'm not complaining. The only problem is that we can't get Lincoln to look a healthy weight. On kibble he was getting a little round so we slowed down how much to feed him and then he started looking as if he was losing weight too fast. My concern is that you can see the last few back ribs and there is a clear waistline. He's 9 months and 75 pounds. We were feeding about 4% and now we just started (Sunday) feeding 5-6% for just him. What are y'all opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just to be sure, are you feeding the percentage of his current weight, or his ideal adult weight? It is supposed to be the ideal adult weight--which is hard to know when you can't say for sure what it is for a dog until they're done all their growing.
Most prefer their dog to be a little on the lean side, as opposed to on the thicker side, for both health & esthetic reasons.
Keep in mind, an active young dog may seem like they will never gain weight no matter how much you feed. My boy is very similar (try guessing the adult weight of a 'mutt' when at 8 months old, ha!) in that he can eat & eat & eat and continue to be very lean looking. When we first got him at around 5 months & still growing plenty, he'd try eating to the point of throwing up, but still look super lean.
He's been looking good at a little over 4% (of what I think will be his ideal adult weight), from about 8 months until now at about 14.5 months old.

Just play it by ear--or rather, eye in this case--and see how he looks with how much you're feeding. Keeps looking leaner & leaner? Try bumping it up a little. Starts getting a little thicker with body fat instead of muscle? Reduce a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts