German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2017, when my girl was a little over two years old, I had her hips X-rayed so I had a base to compare future X-rays with. The vet who took them said she had mild hip dysplasia, which came as a shock because we got her from a reputable breeder who thoroughly screens for health problems like dysplasia and DM. The vet pointed to flattened areas at the top of the tibia (I think) as proof, but when I sent the X-rays to the breeder, she forwarded them along to an expert she uses who said the flattened areas were normal. This was a while back and I don't remember all the details.

In late 2018, I signed her up with Healthy Paws, really just as a safety measure in case she ever gets hit by a car or something like that. Meanwhile, I showed the X-rays to a different vet at the same facility where she normally goes, and she said she thought her hips looked fine. Nevertheless, it's already in her record that she has mild dysplasia, which means it's a pre-existing condition that HP won't cover if problems develop in the future. She's a little over 5 years old now and never had any problems with her hips or other joints ... until last month, when she tore her CCL. It was diagnosed by the same vet who said she had dysplasia, so I wanted a second opinion and took her to an ortho vet several hours away. He confirmed the torn CCL, but didn't see anything wrong with her hips.

My question is, has anyone gone through the experience of challenging a previous diagnosis to ensure it's covered if problems develop in the future? I really don't know how to go about it, but I want that dysplasia diagnosis overturned just on basic principle, if nothing else.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I'm not sure what the process would be with healthy paws as far as them reversing to HD diagnosis in their records. However if you want an expert authority to rate the hips accurately you could send the films off to the OFA for rating. If the OFA certifies the hips as good then you have that information to take to Healthy Paws as proof the original vet made an error in the diagnosis of mild HD. If the OFA says HD then you know for sure and nothing will change with the insurance.

·
Registered
32,717 Posts
I'm not sure what the process would be with healthy paws as far as them reversing to HD diagnosis in their records. However if you want an expert authority to rate the hips accurately you could send the films off to the OFA for rating. If the OFA certifies the hips as good then you have that information to take to Healthy Paws as proof the original vet made an error in the diagnosis of mild HD. If the OFA says HD then you know for sure and nothing will change with the insurance.

This^^^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts