German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jada was a severely emaciated rescue with an over abundance of health issues. (26 lbs, HW, murmur, skin, etc.)

She will not eat kibble unless it's a last resort at 4 days. I don't like canned.

So I started making a chicken stew for her. She has steadily and consistently gained weight. She has now maintained her 58 lbs. Jada is a tiny German Shephard.

This is what I have been doing. I don't know if it's good or not. Don't attack me. Please offer suggestions.

In my Gumbo pot on the stove at a low temp for 4-5 hours:
- 5 lbs of skinned, boned chicken (white/dark)
- 4 cups saturated or double cooked white rice
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup spinach or turnip greens
- 1 cup sweet potatoes
- 1 cup carrots

When the stew is deemed finished I pull out the bones (already separated from meat) and remove the skin and skim the some of the fat.

So this turns out to be a thick chicken stew.

Jada gets 2 cups of the stew twice a day. (She loves it, her bowl gets licked around the kitchen floor to grab every last morsel and flavor drop.) She increased her weight and has maintained it.

She then looks for her hard boiled shelled egg, when finished she looks for her apple.

Rather than supplements, I would like to get those vital minerals and nutrients in a food form.

Please let me know if I am missing something in her diet. She looks great now. But, I need to know if health wise, I am missing something.

Thank you all

·
Registered
31,353 Posts
You need a calcium source. Try contacting Monica Segel or buying her home diet books.

have you done any bloodwork on her? if you do a Chem17, that will show you her calcium and phosphorus levels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have.

But Jada is a medical mess still. Skewing results. This is an upgrade from catastrophic mess. I still have to stand back a bit and can't believe someone let her get in this condition.

How do we get calcium naturally in/to her. She loves her egg shells twice a day.

I have so much invested in this ultra sweet and protective dog.

She is amazing and I can't believe she is still this messed up.

We made a "Jada song list". To relax and soothe her during her rough times.

·
Registered
31,353 Posts
egg shells are fine for a dog in renal failure but they are not a whole source to replace all the minerals in bone. You can buy bone meal to add in. NOW is a good brand.
Bone Meal Powder - 1 lb

I would highly advise you to contact an actual nutritionist like Monica Segal
https://www.facebook.com/Monica-Segal-216331401727910/?fref=ts&em=1

With all the health issues that you've listed, I think someone that can look at the whole dog would be of greater benefit.

·
Registered
31,353 Posts
She isn't cheap. But if I had a dog that had this many issues, and I was as invested as you are, I would definitely spend the money to work it out with her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, she has not been cheap. She is priceless.

I knew that beforehand though. Like I said, they just kept listing "things".

My kids are all grown and successful. And now I have my Jada.

Guess I needed someone to occupy my time and bank account.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

I just need to make sure that I am giving her everything that she needs to be healthy. I know she's happy. We want this awesome dog to be here in our lives for a really long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts