German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
My opinion- it would make more sense for you and all your pet owning friends to put the money into a pet healthcare fund which does not invest in anything just a bank account. Insurance companies and interest rates have zero value in this world to me.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
UPDATE: Petplan changed its underwriter in the last 6 months. The terms of the plan changed significantly, increasing deductibles and premiums both. It likely needs to be re-evaluated in light of the underwriting change.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes, Pet plan has made that change. The letter they send out scares you, its states the policy is not renewed and pre existing conditions are not covered. Had a lengthy talk with them today. The pre existing conditions will be covered that's the good news. The bad news is the price. Its outrageous, I cant believe what they charge, its like Obamacare if you cant get a subsidy. The deductibles have to be high to keep the price down. I am stuck with one dog on Petplan and am moving the other to Healthy paws. They will lose at least 60% of customers due to price.

Healthy paws was $1000 a year less for my 4 year old GSD.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Whole Dog Journal just released a chart comparing plans with some current features at a glance:
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/21_3/features/Health-Insurance-for-Dogs-in-2018_21794-1.html

Like almost every review WDJ does, it's "sorta kinda" useful but overlooks as much important information as it includes.

I think their chart is incomplete (exclusions for congenital/hereditary condition, hips, ACL, etc. ought to be in the chart), but it's at least a starting point to disqualify plans. For example, they highlight which ones only pay out according to a "usual and customary" schedule instead of actual cost, and which ones have RX formularies (apparently, that's now a thing).

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Whole Dog Journal just released a chart comparing plans with some current features at a glance:
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/21_3/features/Health-Insurance-for-Dogs-in-2018_21794-1.html

Like almost every review WDJ does, it's "sorta kinda" useful but overlooks as much important information as it includes.

I think their chart is incomplete (exclusions for congenital/hereditary condition, hips, ACL, etc. ought to be in the chart), but it's at least a starting point to disqualify plans. For example, they highlight which ones only pay out according to a "usual and customary" schedule instead of actual cost, and which ones have RX formularies (apparently, that's now a thing).
Very well said Mag. So true with Whole Dog Journal.

I think this article can be more dangerous than helpful if people do not understand insurance policy's.

An example "We have highlighted the companies whose default offerings have no caps on annual coverage". This sentence is deadly. They may have no limits, more important, what do they pay. A great example in the Health Insurance world is a company called US Healthgroup. A huge scam that uses that same line. What the sales people do not tell you is they give a certain dollar figure towards things. Like we give you $200 a day in the hospital. $1000 a day for surgery. Useless fake healthplan. Nationwide has a few plans like this that they do not divulge in that article. They only reference the one plan they have that is decent.

So much more needs to be written with every company on this list and most of them are pathetic. The only good ones are still in no order, Embrace, Healthy Paws, Petplan and Truepanion. Petplan is now a rip off on price. The one Nationwide plan seems to be good on paper I wouldn't touch nationwide which bought out VPI. They are heavy into going to Vets offices and pushing the products.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank you for all the contribution to this thread, I will be purchasing pet insurance this week and now i know which direction to go in!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Pet Plan

I just wanted to update this and warn people not to buy Pet Plan. Since a new underwriter took over a few years ago they are ridiculously priced. The price increases from year to year are obnoxious and unfair. They also do not let you adjust your plan once a claim is filed in that given year. All new changes that make them a company not to buy.

If anyone like myself has a dog with pre existing conditions you are stuck. I had a 40% increase for 2017 and now another 40% for 2018. I am just carrying this now as a catastrophic plan only. Healthy paws is $63 and Petplan is $175 a month for the same plan.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I wish they had policies that were affordable for people with multiple dogs. If I was a financial wiz (not me at all), I would design an investment program that would allow dog owners to invest money in short-term accounts, for dog vet bills, at low/no risk for a small fee. But, I'll leave that to those in the know.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I want to provide some updated claims handling experience with Healthy Paws. I feel like one doesn't really know an insurance company until you ask them to pay BIG claims. Nobody should trust recommendations of companies based just on how they pay piddly little bills -- the rubber really meets the road with claims-handling for multi-thousand dollar claims. Those are the kinds of claims where some companies that lack integrity will do all they can to weasel their way out of paying.

Late last year, we had a $2k emergency dental surgery after a fetch collision accident. HP paid 90% of that surgery in about 2 weeks -- easy, peasy. The same dog was just diagnosed with melanoma in his eye, requiring an elaborate ophthalmology surgery costing over $2.5k My claim for the eye surgery was approved just one business day after sending the invoice, and I'll have their payment direct deposited within about a week.

The really important thing is that they're covering 90% of the total surgery/hospitalization bill for services performed by expensive specialtists -- the eye surgery was at a top-of-the-line regional referral facility providing 24-hour high-level hospitalization after surgery (with a vet on duty all hours). This kind of facility bills out way, way above anybody's "usual and customary" allowances--so it was incredibly important for us to have a policy that covered actual charges. HP approved the entire bill with no exclusions or monkey business. (There was no exam fee on this bill, as that had been a previous visit setting up this surgery.)

They're also covering monthly Adequan injections for HD. They cover them whether I have my vet clinic staff do them, or order the medicine from an online pet pharmacy.

We're coming close to $5000 in approved claims in the past 12 months. Once HP has the records and the dog is in their system, the claims process is astonishingly fast. I am very, very pleased. Great company to deal with, so far!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I want to provide some updated claims handling experience with Healthy Paws. I feel like one doesn't really know an insurance company until you ask them to pay BIG claims. Nobody should trust recommendations of companies based just on how they pay piddly little bills -- the rubber really meets the road with claims-handling for multi-thousand dollar claims. Those are the kinds of claims where some companies that lack integrity will do all they can to weasel their way out of paying.

Late last year, we had a $2k emergency dental surgery after a fetch collision accident. HP paid 90% of that surgery in about 2 weeks -- easy, peasy. The same dog was just diagnosed with melanoma in his eye, requiring an elaborate ophthalmology surgery costing over $2.5k My claim for the eye surgery was approved just one business day after sending the invoice, and I'll have their payment direct deposited within about a week.

The really important thing is that they're covering 90% of the total surgery/hospitalization bill for services performed by expensive specialtists -- the eye surgery was at a top-of-the-line regional referral facility providing 24-hour high-level hospitalization after surgery (with a vet on duty all hours). This kind of facility bills out way, way above anybody's "usual and customary" allowances--so it was incredibly important for us to have a policy that covered actual charges. HP approved the entire bill with no exclusions or monkey business. (There was no exam fee on this bill, as that had been a previous visit setting up this surgery.)

They're also covering monthly Adequan injections for HD. They cover them whether I have my vet clinic staff do them, or order the medicine from an online pet pharmacy.

We're coming close to $5000 in approved claims in the past 12 months. Once HP has the records and the dog is in their system, the claims process is astonishingly fast. I am very, very pleased. Great company to deal with, so far!
Just signed my boy up with Healthy Paws literally a week ago. Such a great thing to know. Thank you for updating us!

·
Registered
49 Posts

Thank you for sharing, I am looking into insurance for my 10 month pup.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
One more HP tidbit: they covered a second follow-up $2,000 surgery that was needed in my dog's eye this summer, and they're covering the new DNA-based melanoma "cancer vaccine." It costs $700-800 per injection (which are needed every 2 weeks for 4 shots, then every 6 months). It's still in clinical trials for people, but it's approved for dogs. It teaches the immune system to recognize and target melanoma cells.

When I called HP to ask about coverage, I was worried that the word "vaccine" would give them an "out" (since "vaccines" are excluded per the contract). They put me on hold, checked on it, and confirmed it's definitely covered as a chemo alternative. She made a note in the dog's file about our conversation, and once I sent in the vet clinic receipt, it was approved for payment the next business day.

We're now approaching $9,000 in the past 12 months -- all paid without any hassle whatsoever.

Aside from the magnitude of the bills, the way they handled the cancer "vaccine" approval really impressed me. I'll pay exam fees all day long to get bills like this covered!

·
Registered
30,847 Posts
Interesting...

Progressive Insurance now has Pet Insurance. Anyone know anything about it? I have my car insurance thru them and have been very happy.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have Progressive for auto insurance and have been happy with them as well. Didn’t know they offered Pet insurance. I got Healthy Paws for Dexter. I can handle routine issues, but I want coverage for accidents/illnesses. It gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
30,847 Posts
yeah. me too. I'm really curious about this Progressive Pet insurance. There seems to be 3 tiers of it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I agree. I’d like to hear from people who’ve dealt with Progressive claims. The reviews are why I went with Healthy Paws.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts