German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I ended up going with Petplan. My first claim got paid with no hassles at all. The check was about $1100 or close to it. If you plan on or are getting the dog fixed, they are both good. Petplan is owned by one of the largest insurance companies in the world, Allianz. Based on my research and how my claim went, Petplan was a winner.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I am thinking of going with PetPlan as well. My dog is 9 months old, not spayed (yet... hopefully soon), and micro chipped.

However, the reason I've been on and off for months with whether I should get the pet insurance is she is already not very healthy. She has SIBO, I believe her hips may not be the best (not showing pain, but they seem weak to me... which is a possibility since she is a BYB/puppy mill dog), and her skin isn't very good. She's already racked up almost $2500 in additional vet bills (not basic upkeep care). I know there is more to come.

I would love something to help with medical costs, as she is known for some big bills which is very hard to afford out of pocket sometimes.... but, not sure which would work best for us... and whether it would help at all! I also NEVER want to be in the situation where I can't afford to treat my dog if anything happened to her. I would prefer something to cover hips (if possible). Anything that has good coverage with a decent price.

Anyway, after reading through this thread, PetPlan seems to be what would work for us..... What do you think? Is pet insurance worth it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I ended up going with petplan too :) We went with the gold plan and got 2 bucks shy of one month free by paying the year all at once. Since Milou is a puppy, she's only 29 a month.

·
Registered
146 Posts
petsbest. petplan or trupanion

I;ve always used petsbest.. and they have always paid ok. What is the consensus on going with petplan or trupanion?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I;ve always used petsbest.. and they have always paid ok. What is the consensus on going with petplan or trupanion?

Sorry just saw this. Just by this line in the policy I wouldn't get it. leave the door open for them to pay nothing

Pre-existing conditions
Any illness or injury that begins before your policy is effective, or during your waiting period, will be considered “pre-existing”. Even if your pet had no signs or symptoms and wasn’t diagnosed, some conditions can still be considered pre-existing.

Some conditions, like broken legs, heal and require no further treatment. Once healed, these are not considered pre-existing conditions.

Congenital Conditions
Congenital conditions are present at birth, even if they aren’t noticeable right away, and are therefore considered pre-existing. The most common examples of congenital conditions include patellar luxation, umbilical hernia, elongated soft palate and portosystemic shunt.

·
Registered
951 Posts
This should be in the health area as a sticky! Thank you so much for doing the research! I have been so on the fence about which company to go with but now I have no doubts about it at all! Thank you really. Its a blessing.

Sorry just saw this. Just by this line in the policy I wouldn't get it. leave the door open for them to pay nothing

Pre-existing conditions
Any illness or injury that begins before your policy is effective, or during your waiting period, will be considered “pre-existing”. Even if your pet had no signs or symptoms and wasn’t diagnosed, some conditions can still be considered pre-existing.

Some conditions, like broken legs, heal and require no further treatment. Once healed, these are not considered pre-existing conditions.

Congenital Conditions
Congenital conditions are present at birth, even if they aren’t noticeable right away, and are therefore considered pre-existing. The most common examples of congenital conditions include patellar luxation, umbilical hernia, elongated soft palate and portosystemic shunt.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Your welcome.

I am having great luck with petplan they have paid three claims already well over $2000 in total so far, they pay fast also. My dog is only 11 months old well one year next week.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i'm looking to buy pet insurance for wolf and started a thread before finding this...this has been the most helpful thread ever lol thank you everyone, especially kr16!! i've been ripping my hair out trying to read all the fine print of pet insurance companies and talking to them but not getting clear answers. all the research and everything in here is wonderful :hug::hugs: *hugs LOL!

·
Registered
586 Posts
i have a question though...my greatest fear is that wolf bloats. lets say he bloated one day and we took him to the hospital-does the insurance pay the vet directly? or do i have to pay it first, then get reimbursed? cause there's no way i'll ever have thousands laying around to pay it up front..how does all that work?

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
i have a question though...my greatest fear is that wolf bloats. lets say he bloated one day and we took him to the hospital-does the insurance pay the vet directly? or do i have to pay it first, then get reimbursed? cause there's no way i'll ever have thousands laying around to pay it up front..how does all that work?
Pet insurance is usually, you pay and they reimburse you later. So you charge a credit card and they will then give you the money back (usually like 80% of large procedures).

My opinion on insurance is that its more worth it to save the $40 a month for a year or two and use that as a small fund for emergencies. The chances for an emergency are quite small and the $30-$40 in insurance for a year really adds up. Just assume that its about $400 a year for premiums, that's more than $4000 over the life of the dog.

·
Registered
586 Posts
thats true...but honestly, my hours have been cut really bad at work with the economy for the past 8+months. if something happens, i don't have any credit cards with more then maybe $200 available on them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Since I sell health insurance for humans, I am going to look into all these companies. I will make calls on Tuesday and research it. If all goes well with the health of your dog you are going to be putting 3-400 a year into a plan that gets you nothing until its needed. Why not open a seperate bank account and fund the same moneys in and in the later years when needed you should have $4,000 that you can use or keep if you do not need it.
This might not work for everyone, but after I looked into buying pet health insurance I decided to not purchase and create my own personal emergency fund. So now I have two emergency funds- one is for paying the bills if I lose my job or get sick long term. The second is for smaller emergencies like vet bills, extreme car overhaul, etc.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What worries me about per insurance is that you pay up front then get reimbursed. I've read plenty of stories about problems getting reimbursed, or reimbursed very little. As much as I would like to say cost wouldn't be a factor in providing emergency care, it would be. Seven is a part of our family, but she's a member of the family with a relatively short life expectancy. With insurance, I believe it is very likely we'd choose a treatment based on an expectation of reimbursement, not one that we'd be able to afford without it.

I've decided to set up a separate savings for pet emergencies. I'm funding it in the spring every year when I get my bonus so it's a once and done thing. My plan is that if something ever comes up, we'll pay from that account first then consider any other savings we have or care credit if the bill is higher.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Any thoughts on Embrace? They seem good to me, of course you read lots of positive reviews and also some negative reviews, wish you knew what to make of the mixed reviews. . .

They have a spot on their website that compares plans, petplan being one. . .

http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/

Or purina care?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pet Assure is even better than insurance. It saves you on every visit to the vet's office! You choose your pet plan & you can add unlimited # of pets to your program. It's great even if you have pet ins. because you will save much more right at the time of service..No claims to file, no deductibles!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Pet Assure is even better than insurance. It saves you on every visit to the vet's office! You choose your pet plan & you can add unlimited # of pets to your program. It's great even if you have pet ins. because you will save much more right at the time of service..No claims to file, no deductibles!
This is a discount of 25% at participating vets. In my area only a few take this. A lot of these type of plans they charge 25% more to begin with.

Pay cash and negotiate your own 25% off.

Insurance is for the big ticket items not the small bills. This would be really good if your vet takes it on top of a good plan.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Wanted to thank kr16 for all the time and research we decided to go with PetPlan =)

Now I wish these puppy shots were covered! 3 more rounds to go!

41 - 60 of 78 Posts