German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Are you saying that the gene pool you or anyone similar, can never be DM clear on both parents? Not trying to challenge you, just curious.
sorry, I don't quite understand what you're asking.... I will breed my female (who is clear) to a clear if that is the right stud dog to use. But I will not dismiss a dog because they are a carrier - because she is clear. IF she was a carrier, I would not breed her to another carrier because then I could produce affected.

Breeding risks for degenerative myelopathy can be calculated using the Punnett Square:
  • If both parents are clear (N/N) then all of the puppies will be clear.
  • If one parent is a carrier (N/A) and one is clear (N/N) each puppy has a 50% chance of being clear and a 50% chance of being a carrier.
  • If both parents are carriers (N/A) each puppy has a 25% chance of being clear (N/N), 50% chance of being a carrier (N/A), and 25% chance of being affected and carrier (A/A)
  • If one parent is clear (N/N) and one parent is affected (A/A) then all puppies will be carriers (N/A)
  • If one parent is a carrier (N/A) and one is at risk (A/A) each puppy has a 50% chance of being a carrier(N/A) and 50% chance of being affected and carrier (A/A)
  • If both parents are at risk (A/A) then all puppies will be affected and carrier (A/A)

21 - 22 of 22 Posts