German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My German shepherd seems withdrawn, it concerns me, as my daughter is unable to have him with her, too many steps at her place. So he is here with Grandma and Grandpa. Recently we had to put his sister to sleep, elderly with health issues. I am not sure if he feels sad each time my daughter comes and then leaves. He is older too with sore hips. I don't like to see him feeling bad without knowing why? Any insight would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Hi luvtoride,
He has just had his whole world turned up-side-down!
He's mourning and he just left your daughter's home where he probably grew up.
German Shepherds are known for not showing the pain they are in. You should definately take him to the vet and get some pain medication for his hips or you could purchase some Cosequin thru Chewy: Nutramax Cosequin Maximum Strength (DS) Plus MSM Chewable Tablets Joint Health Supplement for Dogs, 250 count - Chewy.com

Maybe try a few new toys, and some extra walks or car rides if he is able.

Has he ever had a large KONG filled with some of his food and a few goodies? Purchase a Large one: KONG Puppy Dog Toy, Color Varies, Small - Chewy.com
Moisten some kibble with a little water until soft. Mash it up and maybe sprinkle in a little grated cheese or parmesan cheese. Then, stuff the Kong, put the kong in a bowl (to catch leaks) and freeze it!
This could be the highlight of his day! :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I agree, I know they mourn the loss of their dog friends and their people. I am sure he's sad.

And he may also be in pain...
I don't want to push drugs, but we noticed a huge difference in activity level/happiness when our dog had to have a course of medication for a sprain recently. The vet put him on an NSAID (carprofen) and a painkiller (Gabapentin) and these days, he is awake a lot more, a lot happier and more interactive, and eager to go on walks again. I will talk to the vet ... I think we may need to continue the meds in some form even after his sprain heals...I realized, perhaps he was in some pain for months! We noticed that gradually he was sleeping a lot more, and less enthusiastic to go on walks, and we thought it was just aging. But when he started the meds, it was like he rolled back the clock by two years - and I realized maybe he was in pain all along. :-(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts