German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,097 Posts
That's despicable.Hope the person is caught somehow.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excerpt from the article;
"It [the poison] was mixed in with hamburger and thrown in the woods," Cate told WPR. "Everybody’s surmising that it was put out to kill wolves."

I agree, this is the most likely reason imop. 3 counties is a lot of area to cover and poison is so indiscriminate. I feel bad for those people who lost there pets. A nice hike turns into tragedy.

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
Very likely intended for wolves, and of course poison is indiscriminate and kills everything. ?

The recent return of wolves to some areas up north is very polarizing.... and some people are lashing out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is wrong on so many levels--a cruel way to kill any wildlife, and so dangerous for domesticated animals. I pray all dog owners in or near areas affected will hear of this and keep their pets inside and leashed when out.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
This is horrible and I hope who ever did this is caught.

This isn't the exact same thing but I just saw a FB notice/caution that our state has put out bait blocks that contain single dosages of Rabies to deliver rabies to wildlife but it does pose a threat to dogs especially those who have adverse reactions to it. MA just revised leash only law in state conservation land but many still practice off leash.

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
Anyone hiking up there really needs to pay attention to what season it is, and either leash their dogs or have a hardcore proofed call-off.... Which has been the case, even before this.

A few years ago I was up that way and took my dogs hiking on backcountry snowmobile trails. It was summer, when they're generally deserted. I rounded a corner and thought I was hallucinating - found myself standing in front of a giant 3' tall mountain of donuts and cake, in the middle of the trail. Between the bear baiting, bear hunting, and uptick in attempts to poison or trap wolves, it underscores the importance of having solid training on your dog, plus being acutely aware of your surroundings....

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Yeah this is awful very upsetting. Awhile back In my neighborhood a family’s young daughter passed away. The day of the funeral the labrador got out and was found days later in the nearby woods dead killed by a bow n arrow. You really have to have control- real life challenges can come with a price and sometimes accidents happen, unfortunately sometimes there are no room for mistakes and sometimes they are fatal. Very sad for the families who lost their pets/family members.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Anyone hiking up there really needs to pay attention to what season it is, and either leash their dogs or have a hardcore proofed call-off.... Which has been the case, even before this.

A few years ago I was up that way and took my dogs hiking on backcountry snowmobile trails. It was summer, when they're generally deserted. I rounded a corner and thought I was hallucinating - found myself standing in front of a giant 3' tall mountain of donuts and cake, in the middle of the trail. Between the bear baiting, bear hunting, and uptick in attempts to poison or trap wolves, it underscores the importance of having solid training on your dog, plus being acutely aware of your surroundings....
Wow. My dogs would leave it when told. My own recall and leave it command though would be tested lol

I had posted a while ago about being playfully jumped by a pair of dogs whose owner had zero recall. There was a lot of arguing over it. Afterwards turned out one of them had nailed a young porcupine and killed it, but not without getting a painful face of quills.

There are so many things that can go wrong even if the most backcountry areas, not just populated trails. Very important to know with as much confidence as possible that you can call your dog off or get him to leave any object that gets his attention.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts