German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like there is a lot of conflict in AKC/UKC as so many people I talk to say that heads up is the only way? My instructor says it should be based on the dog's position and not whether or not your dog is looking up (she has a golden that does look up).

Has competition obedience always been heads up?

All the top dogs seem to be heads up. My dogs is heads up stationary. But, then she goes head normal and "checks" in with me but never has head up through the whole heel pattern. I don't know if this is correct or if I should try to bother showing her without the constant heads up.

It seems so uncomfortable for the dog....

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
As long as her body is and stays in the right heel position - why wouldn't you show her?

What level are you showing her in - N, O, or U? In any the position is the key in AKC, not where she is looking.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok..phew! Thanks for your reply! That's what my instructor said but a couple of friends and people I talked too said heads up only!

I plan on running her rally next month (she is 10 months old) and we are very close to showing for our CD but we need to fix a couple things. We need to polish finish (she's slow and sloppy) and we are working on her not wagging her tail furiously and trying to kiss the "examiner" when we practice stand with exam. She didn't get the memo that GSDs are aloof!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm training my girl head up and looking at you, (that's so she isn't looking at anything else) I'm training attention for everything not just heeling. We often go to the local Wal Mart just to work attention and heeling. I spent the lunch break at the GSD Spec. shows this past weekend working attention. It is a very important skill to have on a dog.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Mine does the head up position, tho not quite as high as a border collie or golden might do. the attention that you get from the dog in that position is better and the dog is less likely to lose focus on you.

·
Registered
673 Posts
In AKC shows (both rally and obedience) head carriage is NOT supposed to be judged. Head up, head level, as long as the dog is in heel position there shouldn't be any points off. Now that said, I prefer head's up heeling.....but a 10 month old PUPPY shouldn't be doing long periods of heeling yet anyway, heads up or not. And the structure of the dog determines what is comfortable for the dog, and THAT is very important.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts