German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Kylin. I have a 4 month of GSD named Boo and a 7 month old JRT (Jack Russell Terrier) named Taco. My GSD is ALWAYS full of energy and is always running aroun the house.. My JR has been with me ever since he was a puppy & he is very calm, follows me everywhere, is very quiet. Now my GSD's body is larger than that of the JRT and this worries me.. My GSD is always nipping at the neck of my JRT and running after him and always nipping at him. It won't stop always happening. I'm afraid that my GSD might cause serious damage to my JR, as my GSD's teeth are very sharp and I can't imagine how the JRT has such patience.. Sometimes the JRT is at his wits end and just snaps back at him so you hear a little peep. Please help & respond.
/kylin.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
more exercise for puppy. He is trying to get your JRT to play. Does the JRT play back? Or does he just try to get away until he finally snaps back? If it's the former, I would let them be as long as they don't get TOO wild. If the latter, separate and distract when the pup starts getting pushy.
Take him outside and play with him. Do some tricks and get his mind working.
At that age, I spent more time running, playing, working, exercising Singe than breathing - at least it felt that way!

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
too late to edit but I think you are the first person I've seen use the words "calm" "quiet" and "JRT" in the same sentence lol

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
up your personal time with the gsd, join an obedience class.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have two pups also. Both GSD. My girl is 11 months and the boy is 6 months.
Even tho it's a ton of work I love them so much it's worth it.
When we brought the boy home I was so afraid because she would put his head in her month playing, never biting hard of course, and they are soooo verbal. Now my boy is 70 pds and bigger than her, he bites at her hard and she screams - I'm waiting for her to get mad at him to make him nock it off. She doesn't seem to have it in her. Everyone told me just let them work it off as long as no one is getting hurt...if they start getting really rough I stop them. I've learned that they are just such strong powerful dogs and they play Rough and the sound are unbelievable. The main advise I can give you is exercise them. I let my pups run outdoors to burn off all that energy then they'll come in a snuggle up together for a nap. A sleepy puppy is a good puppy lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
He probably just wants to play to burn of energy. I've noticed after a walk or training my gsd won't "bother" my other two smaller dogs as much, but when he is just being to rough or just won't give them a break I taught him a verbal command for him to stop. It just means no, but it's only used when he;'s playing to rough with my other dogs so he knows it means specifically to stop that behavior...or at l;east that's what I'm hoping he hears it as. ;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
as everyone else says he wants to play. Dogs often go for the neck when they play and its good when you say 'nip' not 'bite'. Hes not trying to hurt the JRT hes just trying to be playful. Take the GSD out alone and spend sometime together, play ball burn some energy etc. Try puppy classes, basic obedience training. Remember hes still a very young pup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts