German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Thanks for the input.

We are keeping Bomber in the garage, not the house. My husband and I do not want him in the house. He will be a dog that stays outside or in the garage.

About the picture....I cannot figure out how to add one to my profile.
I think this is where everybody got their feathers ruffled.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
^ LOL

Not EVERYONE was nasty. :whistle:

In the beginning, my first couple posts addressed their question directly, with a hint about the outdoor thing. Then my third post directly addressed that. I tried to explain that while my first dog was an "outside" dog, he lived inside the first several months of puppyhood and spent a LOT if inside time. Plus, he went everywhere with me, and on the nights DH wasn't home and I watched a scary movie, I made him sleep inside :p

Then I tried to relay that while I feel he was a happy, well-cared for dog (and he really did choose to sleep outside, he was always so hot) that was my first "heart" dog, I really grew to like having the next dog inside. My pup now is inside and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The OP never responded to any of those. Plus, there were other posters who did try to address their question. They never responded to those posts. They could've and just ignored the rest instead of throwing a tantrum.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Well, I'm sorry that you don't like the opinions you were given - you did ask for them, though, and that's what people have been doing, giving their opinion. I hope you don't give up on the board because there is a lot of great info here that might help you. But as you have already seen, you may not always like the advice you're given.
Unless the OP brings her dog inside no-one here is going to help her so why shouldn't she give up on this forum?
I am pretty sure she is not going to change her mind so she might as well just go ask a trainer.
That is what has annoyed me about this thread.....fine you don't agree with what she is doing but you could still offer some advice as to how she can deal with her dog but because she won't bring it in the house....well just go away...we don't want to help you. Makes me wonder sometimes if the dog is really everyone's priority as now she will just go away completely pissed off.
As for her not telling you why she won't have the dog in the house...it is none of your business.....maybe her husband beats her and if she lets the dog in he will give her a hiding......I mean who do you all think you are demanding her reasons.....If the dog does end up back in a shelter, this forum has done nothing to try and help prevent that.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Unless the OP brings her dog inside no-one here is going to help her so why shouldn't she give up on this forum?
I am pretty sure she is not going to change her mind so she might as well just go ask a trainer.
That is what has annoyed me about this thread.....fine you don't agree with what she is doing but you could still offer some advice as to how she can deal with her dog but because she won't bring it in the house....well just go away...we don't want to help you. Makes me wonder sometimes if the dog is really everyone's priority as now she will just go away completely pissed off.
As for her not telling you why she won't have the dog in the house...it is none of your business.....maybe her husband beats her and if she lets the dog in he will give her a hiding......I mean who do you all think you are demanding her reasons.....If the dog does end up back in a shelter, this forum has done nothing to try and help prevent that.....:rolleyes:
:thumbup: Same old **** different thread.

·
Super Moderator
32,241 Posts
What's frustrating about these kinds of threads is that there are a couple of things that would help her, but she absolutely refuses to try one of them. She did say she had signed up for OB classes, and good for her - that should definitely improve things if they're willing to go to classes and work on the exercises consistently.

But it would also help if she were to consider having the puppy spend more time with the family by living indoors with them. The stronger the relationship and bond, along with the training, the better the puppy is going to listen and respond. I don't see anyone refusing to help her, I see her rejecting a key piece of the advice she's been given. :shrug: She wants help, but only the kind of help she's decide she agrees with.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Thanks for everyone's concern for our new companion, Bomber.

Just as an update and to put everyone's mind at ease, Bomber is doing great.

Even though he sleeps in the insulated garage at night, he is able to spend alot of time with us. I enjoy doing all my flower and landscaping and my husband spends alot of time in our other garage restoring cars as a hobby. Bomber is able to spend all this time with us. When it is time to go to bed, Bomber walks back into the garage kennel and lays down in his bed.

Once we are able to get a dog door installed, we plan on moving his kennel outside for him to have shelter when he doesn't want to be indoors but also build him his own "go-to" place in the garage, for when it is storming or really cold.

Oh yeah, Bomber loves playing with the neighbors dogs and the water hose!

Thanks again.
Did you miss this post??

Now go back to page 4 and have a look at some of the responses she got after that.
She comes back to say she is doing better and she still gets completely hammered because she has not brought the dog inside.
If she had told you why she can't bring the dog in would there be ANY reason good enough to satisfy everyone? So what's the point answering anyway.
That's all I have to say......

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
What's frustrating about these kinds of threads is that there are a couple of things that would help her, but she absolutely refuses to try one of them. She did say she had signed up for OB classes, and good for her - that should definitely improve things if they're willing to go to classes and work on the exercises consistently.

But it would also help if she were to consider having the puppy spend more time with the family by living indoors with them. The stronger the relationship and bond, along with the training, the better the puppy is going to listen and respond. I don't see anyone refusing to help her, I see her rejecting a key piece of the advice she's been given. :shrug: She wants help, but only the kind of help she's decide she agrees with.
It's not that what you just said may be sound advice but from the beginning almost no one can get past the outside issue. I know it is unreal to many on this forum but lots of dogs live outside. I live in a somewhat rural area and it's probably about 50/50 Indoor/outdoor dogs.
As near as I can tell anyone who has an outside dog may as well not ask for advice unless they are willing to listen to poster after poster focus only on where the dog will be located.
For the record my 2 dogs sleep inside but if they didn't and I really wanted advice I'd either get it elsewhere or not admit it on this forum.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
True enough, many (myself included), were pretty focused on the dog living outside, especially a pup they'd just gotten. (I was actually more about the bonding with a new dog, when it lived apart from the family, but w/e.)

I'm not against outdoor dogs, even though I've never had one and wouldn't own one that I felt I needed to leave outdoors. Just me and it sounds like I'm in good company on that sentiment.

A forum is about information exchange and the OP's refusal to say why it must be the dog was outside was clearly annoying to many people. She simply wanted answers for her issue (the dog not listening), and wouldn't exchange information that MAY have likely allowed better feedback. So people were curious, so WHAT? Perhaps it was "none of our business," but you do need the full picture to give an honest, well thought out response. If the OP wasn't willing to do that, why condemn those who were trying to work with the question?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Very sad to hear your pup won't be living inside with you. It sounds as though he may have been better off at the dump.

The first two people were polite, helpful, but mentioned the house right off the bat.

The third response was the one above. Most people would have been gone right then, but the OP actually came back for more and got it.

Is there something wrong with accepting the fact that all dog owners don't have their dog attached to their hip at all times and some of them don't keep them in the house.

It would be interesting to see how this thread would have gone if the OP never mentioned the garage or outside. Just simply asked for help with the pup not listening.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The first two people were polite, helpful, but mentioned the house right off the bat.

The third response was the one above. Most people would have been gone right then, but the OP actually came back for more and got it.

Is there something wrong with accepting the fact that all dog owners don't have their dog attached to their hip at all times and some of them don't keep them in the house.

It would be interesting to see how this thread would have gone if the OP never mentioned the garage or outside. Just simply asked for help with the pup not listening.
People need to have thicker skin. You can't expect everyone, particularly on the internet, to be sunshine and roses. It's anonymous for the most part, that just invites people to be unpleasant. She's putting up information for everyone to see, others are going to comment, they're going to judge, and they are going to disagree. If the OP didn't want feedback, whether positive or negative, then they shouldn't have posted. I'm sure there are plenty of topics similar all over the site and all over the internet.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
People need to have thicker skin. You can't expect everyone, particularly on the internet, to be sunshine and roses. It's anonymous for the most part, that just invites people to be unpleasant. She's putting up information for everyone to see, others are going to comment, they're going to judge, and they are going to disagree. If the OP didn't want feedback, whether positive or negative, then they shouldn't have posted. I'm sure there are plenty of topics similar all over the site and all over the internet.
I loooove the "thicker skin" arguement. LOVE it. To me, that's one way to say, hey, I'm gonna be really insulting and if you're offended, YOU just need "thicker skin."

Sorry, but I hate that.

I'm 50/50 on this one. Wish OP would've talked about why the dog must be raised in a garage, but not necessarily, automatically against that choice. I simply saw it as a detriment to the goal she wanted to achieve.

In all reality, she probably had NO idea how people would view raising the pup in a garage. She likely put that out there and was pretty surprised to hear the negativity regarding that. Just my .02, could be wrong... usually am.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I loooove the "thicker skin" arguement. LOVE it. To me, that's one way to say, hey, I'm gonna be really insulting and if you're offended, YOU just need "thicker skin."

Sorry, but I hate that.

I'm 50/50 on this one. Wish OP would've talked about why the dog must be raised in a garage, but not necessarily, automatically against that choice. I simply saw it as a detriment to the goal she wanted to achieve.

In all reality, she probably had NO idea how people would view raising the pup in a garage. She likely put that out there and was pretty surprised to hear the negativity regarding that. Just my .02, could be wrong... usually am.
I'm not saying that people should be insulting and antagonistic. I'm just saying that people are going to be insulting and antagonistic. It would be nice if everyone was friendly and helpful, but it's not going to happen. There were a lot of people that jumped on the dog being outside, sure, but not all of them were insulting. The one comment about it being better off at the dump was certainly out of line, but there were plenty of comments that were saying the bond will be stronger if the OP spent more time with the dog and different variations of that. Sure, it was the same thing over and over again for like eight pages, but it was advice on how to get the dog to listen better, which was what the OP wanted. OP was offended by that and doesn't want to be apart of the community because of it. I understand that and I get it. No one wants to be on the receiving end of insults, but they need to expect some of it. You can't just leave because everyone's not being nice to you; that's just silly.

Heck, I commented on the first page. I asked OP why the dog was going to be outside. I didn't make any demands, and I also made some suggestions on how to make the dog listen better from my own experiences with Luna. I don't think I said anything was rude. OP got plenty of that, but didn't seem to want to focus on anything but the negative.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that she seems to care for the dog because she was willing to ask others, a board specifically for GSDs about her problem. But I think it's a bit silly if someone's going to not continue to ask for advice if they don't need it because people were mean to them. Maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
No they need to find someone or someplace that will actually help.

That does happen here but not on this thread.

I'm only on one other forum for cars and 99.9% of the time everyone is helpful.

I guess some GSD people can't do that when they are such experts on all things related to not only their own dogs but everone else's.

·
Super Moderator
32,241 Posts
I simply saw it as a detriment to the goal she wanted to achieve.
Yes, exactly. She (and everyone else for that matter) is free to raise their puppies any way they like, but when they come here for advice about a problem that might be improved if they are willing to have an open mind and consider doing things differently, well, people are going to point out the obvious. There were a couple of posts that I thought were a bit harsh, but for the most part I thought people were sincerely trying to help her understand that you can't always improve your puppy's behavior without making some changes in the environment, that how your puppy is raised and how he behaves are not necessarily mutually exclusive, one can and often does have an effect on the other.

I'm sorry if she got offended by that but it's really not an offensive notion per se, unless you're bound and determined to stubbornly cling to your current way of doing things and don't want to hear anything that challenges your preconceived notions, such as "dogs don't belong in the house". Of course we don't know if that's the reason this puppy won't ever be allowed in the house, because the OP declined to answer that question. No, she doesn't owe us a reason, but the fact that she refused to give one and got all defensive when asked, implies that that they simply don't want him there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We recently rescued a 4 month old German Shepherd puppy. He was found at the dump. We have only had him about 2 weeks. Bomber can sit. He is crate trained. He will go to the bathroom outside. However, he will not listen to anything my husband or I tell him. If we tell him "no" he does not listen. He keeps doing whatever he was doing. When he does listen we tell him "good boy" and give him a treat. He likes to bite as well as pull when walking on a leash. We are trying to get him to not do this. As of right now we are keeping him in the garage while we get a fence around the house so he can run around in the yard. My neighbors have small dogs and we don't want Bomber to hurt them. We try to get him out everyday and play with him and exercise him until we get the fence put in. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get him to listen?

BTW: We did sign him up for Obedience Classes at our local Petsmart but those do not start until December 13th!
That is just very sad, that beautiful puppy can not live among
the people who rescued him. Question: why did you even bring him back to your place?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
That is just very sad, that beautiful puppy can not live among
the people who rescued him. Question: why did you even bring him back to your place?
This is a super old thread. OP and most other posters are long gone.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.